Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Mid career crisis
View Single Post
Old 26-03-2015, 10:18 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My experience is whether you are a junior manager or a middle one, as long as I can find someone to fill in that role at half the salary you are commanding, you are as good as dead to me. Some recruiters has strong ties with the companies, they may also advise companies to lay off expensive pple and fill them in with cheaper ones. There is no guarantee that things get better for people with 'strong professional network' because times are ever changing. Many young people have good networks, yes business relationships are important but it is not all. Unless you are a brilliant talent with super niche skills (oil drill engineers, software developers (local) or solutions architect), i think you will be easily replacable.

I have spoken to marketing, HR and finance people who got retrenched and they were merely earning slightly over 12 to 15k per month. Some AVP or senior AVP are in the same shoes, u think the companies care if you have 'networks', everybody has 'networks', and many people prefer hiring someone who's actively building close relationship than sporadic ones. My colleague from India told me that whatever roles you can think of in India, there will always be someone better and cheaper. The same is happening here in Singapore. Finance industry in particular don't give a **** if you are local a not, unlike other sectors.
I believe you are not having a broad enough view because you haven't really gotten to the headhunting side of things. When you get to the middle management / executive level, it's a completely different ball game.

We are not talking about some junior manager / senior associate from HR/marketing who is making 12-15k monthly. These are essentially relatively low ranking folks and hence like I orginally stated: prone to getting replaced and hard to get a job once they are retrenched.

I agree completely with your point that at this level, these guys are basically replacable by cheap foreign labour. But I caution that you should not generalize the experience based on your narrow experience on the junior professional recruitment side.

If you are talking about CHRO/CMO level, these 7 figured executives are sorely lacking even in developing countries, so you are not going to find some cheap Indian guy who simply parachutes into a sizable MNC to take over. On the executive level, the general experience is that countries like BRIC have higher salaries than even first world countries. Like I said, completely different landscape.