Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Mid career crisis
View Single Post
Old 26-03-2015, 05:08 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I was in the civil service (7yrs), last drawn 4k before moving to recruitment sales. 29yo this yr sim grad.

I just wan to say that after being a recruiter i realized much to my astonishment, many people are unemployed at late 30s and early 40s, many are laid off though some claimed they resigned to take a break. My point is, if you are earning a good 5digit pay cheque in roles where there are plenty of candidates (banking,marketing, HR...etc), i will always be able to find someone who's willing to do your job at half the price you are commanding. Hence, many companies restructure to 'get rid' of high earners.

There are many roles out there without aws or other bonus structure so whatever you think you are earning now every month is unimportant because what matters most in the entire salary package and JOB SECURITY. Call me old school, but as a recruiter i have seen pple earning a ridiculous pay cheque for uncomplicated job scope while pple who r talented take home peanuts.

Take the comments here with a pinch of salt. You are lucky with what you have and where u r. There are those who have been jobless for more than a year and refused to take a pay cut.

Honestly well paying jobs are the sales line, if u wan to earn big bucks u have to slog ur ass off. Otherwise, focus on quality of living instead...
The situation really depends on the level of career you are in. For jr manager & below type of jobs (roughly <250k p.a.) is particularly dangerous especially if you are in mid to late 40s. Once you get retrenched its more or less game over as employers tend to prefer younger candidates who have the energy and potential to grow. This sort of level also has plenty of cheaper candidates in developing countries.

For the middle management level (~250-600k p.a.) things tend to get a bit better as this group usually has strong professional network / standing and some sort of expertise be it technical or corporate so they tend to find it easier to get another job even if retrenched. The seniority of their job also makes it harder for employers to find fresh grads or youngsters to replace.

For the executive level (>600k p.a.) they are usually very safe, in fact even safer than a young fresh grad. The pool for this group is so small and the jobs are so global in nature that demand often exceed supply. For them its more about whether they like the company, feel empowered or feel interested in the work itself. It's an elite old boy's club where they rub each others back, sit on each other's company as directors or advisors and look after one another.