Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Advice needed (Business Analytics)
View Single Post
Old 23-03-2015, 02:38 AM
Unregistered

If u want to build a career in data analytics or big data, do a double degree in statistics and computing instead. I believe the business analytics course tried to mix too many modules from biz, stats and cs into the curriculum. You will be much better off focusing on the technical aspect which is stats and cs. There is a reason y most data scientist r phd holder. It's a highly technical job, so focus on building the core foundation. Business acumen can wait.

N Don't waste ur time with a business degree. It is not a safe bet, there r too many biz deg and what they learnt are too fluffy. Let me just quote what my prof think about biz degree - "why would anyone spend 4 years to learn nothing?"

Anyways, whether it is overhyped or not I do not know, but Singapore is certainly very well positioned as a data analytics hub. We have the infrastructure capabilities, we r well placed to gain access to the south east Asia market. N there is a drive towards big data in both the private and public sector. Data explosion and the move towards evidence based decision making is certainly fueling this drive.

N even if is indeed overhyped, the underlying skill u possess such as statistics and comp sci will still open up decent opportunities in the more 'traditional' area such as statisticians, computer scientist etc.

So, my advise is do a double deg in stat and cs. U will be highly sought after.