Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 16-02-2015, 10:51 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I don't think headcount is an issue. If not, they wouldn't have put up the job ad with multiple vacancies.

I find it ridiculous if so much emphasis is placed on sec school to jc performance. As I have mentioned, the role requires technical knowledge which are not even taught at jc level.

Not saying I dont believe you. Just find it ridiculous if those are indeed the criterias that the hr(or whoever) looks at so heavily (enough to ignore tertiary education which formally teaches the subject).
Well sorry to burst your bubbles, but there may be more sense in looking at performance from Sec all the way to tertiary than you think. While it is true that you gain technical knowledge at tertiary level, it does not imply that you are good at soft skills (e.g. leadership roles etc.). Unless you have CCAs during your Uni days to showcase your leadership skills as well.

Give you an example. HR received two applicants - one with a better tertiary result (FCH), and one not so stellar (2nd Upper). The FCH has a normal Sec school and JC resume, while the 2nd upper has a much better Sec school and JC resume (e.g. Student leader, good grades, S papers etc.). I will probably choose the 2nd upper over the FCH. Why? Because he is consistent. I know he is good since young, and most likely to be reliable. Plus he has all the soft skills necessary.

You may counter argue, to say some are late bloomers. Therefore it is bias and illogical to look at Sec to JC resume, especially if the role hinges on technical knowledge that can only be achieved at tertiary education. But having only excel (academically) in Uni, I could say you may be lucky, you're only good at something so niche and nothing else. Or it could be a fluke, that somehow, you're just good at mugging suddenly.

Yes it is unfair, but the 2nd upper has more years of "good results" to showcase as opposed to the FCH who has only his good tertiary results. But that's civil service for you, usually picking only the best out of the best. More so if you're applying to those economic agencies.

FYI, agencies do put up adv even if there are no vacancies. Why? Cause they want to know the market trends, and to be prepared for officers resigning.