Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it)
View Single Post
Old 01-01-2015, 10:52 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
For many reasons staying in Australia is more or less out of the question for me.

I'm pretty interested in organisational psych and the government sector is one of the main employers of organisational psychologists, hence my interest in a MINDEF job. I was also hoping I could get a government sponsorship to pursue my Masters somewhere down the line. But it's worrying that I don't even see any ads for MINDEF psychologists, whereas for the other ministries (MHA, MOE etc) I at least see ads that I can try applying for.

HR is my backup plan I guess, since there's some overlap with organisational psych, but I really want to stay in the psychology field.

Are you in psychology yourself by the way? Would appreciate more opinions from people in the know.

Also, about local graduates, do you mean Unisim grads will have an edge over me too? Since I understand the government does send its staff to do Unisim degrees for upgrading.
My fiancé is in the psych field. I'm in social science, trying to break into public policy when I grad soon. MOE takes in those with experience from what I can gather. Even to apply for NIE masters in counselling or masters in applied psych requires applicants to have 2 years of work exp. Unisim might still be untested waters, so my opinion is without any backing. but IMO, unisim grads may be preferred down the line. Lots of govt employees are sent to unisim nowadays to get their degrees. Especially mindef personnel. As the number of unisim grads in govt agencies grow, so will their preference or biasness for them. On top of that, unisim grads have one thing most fresh grads don't, which is experience. They study part-time and have time for a full-time job or at least time for multiple fruitful internships.

My fiancé herself interned under MOM, under the statistics division. I've had friends that interned at MHA, under psych. I would be cautious with MHA if I were you. Even though it is a ministry, from what they tell me, its a very very hostile place. MHA is a cesspit. Protocols and directives are all not followed. My friends who interned under MHA had to wrestle with the school and the organisation to get their salaries, which was only given out months after their internship was over. As compared to MOM which was on the dot. Im not sure how and why a ministry is allowed to run in such a way. I guess us humanities/social science people are that disposable.

Govt does sponsor for Masters. But you will usually have to get into a local program. Unless you are an overseas scholar. So you will have to look at masters programs at NUS/NTU and their psych masters programs also happen to be very competitive.