MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) - Page 51 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #501 (permalink)  
Old 31-12-2014, 12:52 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I think I mentioned something about this on this thread a few pages back. Dont bet on getting a psychologist job. Unless you're really outstanding ie. ANU/Umelb/Usyd High distinction honours. There's just too many psych grads competing for VERY FEW psych-related jobs. Yes, I've spoken directly to mindef's career personnel who told me that psychology and defence policy are the two 'hottest' jobs, in her words. Meaning that the ratio of applicants to available opportunities is sky high. Advice? stay in Australia and get experience. Unless you are from on of the top few universities that I mentioned, its going to be hard for you to compete against the local grads. Seeing especially that psych and counselling jobs here are mostly provided by the govt, they will prefer to hire local graduates.

Unless you're okay with working with non-psych related jobs. How are your statistics? Most psych students in sg, especially NTU ones take up around 5-7 stats modules, making them pretty flexible in finding jobs in our data-centric world. Or you could try working in HR like many psych grads do.
For many reasons staying in Australia is more or less out of the question for me.

I'm pretty interested in organisational psych and the government sector is one of the main employers of organisational psychologists, hence my interest in a MINDEF job. I was also hoping I could get a government sponsorship to pursue my Masters somewhere down the line. But it's worrying that I don't even see any ads for MINDEF psychologists, whereas for the other ministries (MHA, MOE etc) I at least see ads that I can try applying for.

HR is my backup plan I guess, since there's some overlap with organisational psych, but I really want to stay in the psychology field.

Are you in psychology yourself by the way? Would appreciate more opinions from people in the know.

Also, about local graduates, do you mean Unisim grads will have an edge over me too? Since I understand the government does send its staff to do Unisim degrees for upgrading.

Reply With Quote
  #502 (permalink)  
Old 01-01-2015, 10:52 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
For many reasons staying in Australia is more or less out of the question for me.

I'm pretty interested in organisational psych and the government sector is one of the main employers of organisational psychologists, hence my interest in a MINDEF job. I was also hoping I could get a government sponsorship to pursue my Masters somewhere down the line. But it's worrying that I don't even see any ads for MINDEF psychologists, whereas for the other ministries (MHA, MOE etc) I at least see ads that I can try applying for.

HR is my backup plan I guess, since there's some overlap with organisational psych, but I really want to stay in the psychology field.

Are you in psychology yourself by the way? Would appreciate more opinions from people in the know.

Also, about local graduates, do you mean Unisim grads will have an edge over me too? Since I understand the government does send its staff to do Unisim degrees for upgrading.
My fiancé is in the psych field. I'm in social science, trying to break into public policy when I grad soon. MOE takes in those with experience from what I can gather. Even to apply for NIE masters in counselling or masters in applied psych requires applicants to have 2 years of work exp. Unisim might still be untested waters, so my opinion is without any backing. but IMO, unisim grads may be preferred down the line. Lots of govt employees are sent to unisim nowadays to get their degrees. Especially mindef personnel. As the number of unisim grads in govt agencies grow, so will their preference or biasness for them. On top of that, unisim grads have one thing most fresh grads don't, which is experience. They study part-time and have time for a full-time job or at least time for multiple fruitful internships.

My fiancé herself interned under MOM, under the statistics division. I've had friends that interned at MHA, under psych. I would be cautious with MHA if I were you. Even though it is a ministry, from what they tell me, its a very very hostile place. MHA is a cesspit. Protocols and directives are all not followed. My friends who interned under MHA had to wrestle with the school and the organisation to get their salaries, which was only given out months after their internship was over. As compared to MOM which was on the dot. Im not sure how and why a ministry is allowed to run in such a way. I guess us humanities/social science people are that disposable.

Govt does sponsor for Masters. But you will usually have to get into a local program. Unless you are an overseas scholar. So you will have to look at masters programs at NUS/NTU and their psych masters programs also happen to be very competitive.

Reply With Quote
  #503 (permalink)  
Old 02-01-2015, 12:13 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My fiancé is in the psych field. I'm in social science, trying to break into public policy when I grad soon. MOE takes in those with experience from what I can gather. Even to apply for NIE masters in counselling or masters in applied psych requires applicants to have 2 years of work exp. Unisim might still be untested waters, so my opinion is without any backing. but IMO, unisim grads may be preferred down the line. Lots of govt employees are sent to unisim nowadays to get their degrees. Especially mindef personnel. As the number of unisim grads in govt agencies grow, so will their preference or biasness for them. On top of that, unisim grads have one thing most fresh grads don't, which is experience. They study part-time and have time for a full-time job or at least time for multiple fruitful internships.

My fiancé herself interned under MOM, under the statistics division. I've had friends that interned at MHA, under psych. I would be cautious with MHA if I were you. Even though it is a ministry, from what they tell me, its a very very hostile place. MHA is a cesspit. Protocols and directives are all not followed. My friends who interned under MHA had to wrestle with the school and the organisation to get their salaries, which was only given out months after their internship was over. As compared to MOM which was on the dot. Im not sure how and why a ministry is allowed to run in such a way. I guess us humanities/social science people are that disposable.

Govt does sponsor for Masters. But you will usually have to get into a local program. Unless you are an overseas scholar. So you will have to look at masters programs at NUS/NTU and their psych masters programs also happen to be very competitive.
What's your major? Just curious. Speaking of public policy, any opinions on the International Relations masters program at RSIS?

And what area of psych does your fiance work in?

I've done some snooping on linkedin and many government employed psychologists do get to do their masters in the UK, I believe because local psychology masters programs are severely limited - only NIE's applied psych and NUS's clinical program.

Reply With Quote
  #504 (permalink)  
Old 02-01-2015, 02:27 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
What's your major? Just curious. Speaking of public policy, any opinions on the International Relations masters program at RSIS?

And what area of psych does your fiance work in?

I've done some snooping on linkedin and many government employed psychologists do get to do their masters in the UK, I believe because local psychology masters programs are severely limited - only NIE's applied psych and NUS's clinical program.
RSIS and LKYSPP are great schools. But dont jump the gun and take your masters there yet. Get a govt job first and then see if they will send you there. You might end up wasting your money and time doing post-grad there and not getting a job in the civil sector.

NTU does have an MA in Psych. But its more geared towards research, not applied.

I'm in Philosophy, concentrating mostly in ethics, hopefully trying to get a job in ethics committees in govt hospitals or universities. Second major in political science but im concentrating more in public policy and administration rather than international relations and politics.
Reply With Quote
  #505 (permalink)  
Old 02-01-2015, 02:30 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
RSIS and LKYSPP are great schools. But dont jump the gun and take your masters there yet. Get a govt job first and then see if they will send you there. You might end up wasting your money and time doing post-grad there and not getting a job in the civil sector.

NTU does have an MA in Psych. But its more geared towards research, not applied.

I'm in Philosophy, concentrating mostly in ethics, hopefully trying to get a job in ethics committees in govt hospitals or universities. Second major in political science but im concentrating more in public policy and administration rather than international relations and politics.
Edit: She's in one of the local universities under one of their counselling dept. But not a full-fledged one yet. She's applying for the next NIE intake once she has enough experience.
Reply With Quote
  #506 (permalink)  
Old 05-01-2015, 01:08 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
i also applied for some positions in Oct but no reply til now. last week i sent an email abt my application but still no reply. but my friend applied for some positions different from mine in Nov and she received an email to go for the psychometric test in less than a week. but she was rejected after the test. i guess have to wait :/
Would have been great if they would just notify us if we are not being considered rather than being left hanging.
Reply With Quote

  #507 (permalink)  
Old 05-01-2015, 02:46 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Would have been great if they would just notify us if we are not being considered rather than being left hanging.
Hopefully now that it's january things will move faster... people should be going back into work mode and coming back from year end holidays.
Reply With Quote
  #508 (permalink)  
Old 05-01-2015, 04:01 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Would have been great if they would just notify us if we are not being considered rather than being left hanging.
Yeah i agree... Guess what, i got a reply on 02 jan to the email regarding my application in oct. She said that she was away hence the late reply. Anyway she said that successful applicants would be notified within 2 weeks. Which means i am rejected.. Waited 2 mths and nt even a rejection email sent.. Zzz...
Reply With Quote
  #509 (permalink)  
Old 05-01-2015, 11:50 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Yeah i agree... Guess what, i got a reply on 02 jan to the email regarding my application in oct. She said that she was away hence the late reply. Anyway she said that successful applicants would be notified within 2 weeks. Which means i am rejected.. Waited 2 mths and nt even a rejection email sent.. Zzz...
you mean the yvonne lady?

i asked about my psychometric test in oct after a couple of months no reply...and she said no reply means still processing and i can let her know if i want to apply for more positions...which i did and she acknowledged.

did she say outright you were rejected?
Reply With Quote
  #510 (permalink)  
Old 06-01-2015, 08:05 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
you mean the yvonne lady?

i asked about my psychometric test in oct after a couple of months no reply...and she said no reply means still processing and i can let her know if i want to apply for more positions...which i did and she acknowledged.

did she say outright you were rejected?
Nt yvonne... Its michelle. She didnt say outright that i am rejected, just that shortlisted candidates will be notified in 2 weeks’ time from their application date.
And also as the selection process is highly competitive, only shortlisted candidates will be notified.

I guess my case is slightly diff frm yrs.. I am not shortlisted for the psycho test, just applied only. But i expected my application to be unsuccessful cos i saw the job was alr taken out frm the list of vacancies after i sent her the email.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Higher starting salaries for MINDEF and SAF entrants Salary.sg Income and Jobs 2 06-04-2012 07:31 AM
MINDEF and SAF Sign-On Bonuses Salary.sg Income and Jobs 9 16-08-2009 03:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
9,736 Replies, 3,181,397 Views
Dsta ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
847 Replies, 583,647 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,676 Replies, 1,374,502 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,963 Replies, 1,818,215 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,473 Replies, 2,053,581 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,525 Replies, 1,005,815 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
129 Replies, 92,677 Views
DBS Graduate Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
749 Replies, 383,543 Views
UOB Management Associate Program ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
286 Replies, 186,993 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,059 Replies, 283,703 Views
MasterCard Graduate Developement... ( 1 2 3)
24 Replies, 7,093 Views
AML/Compliance/KYC professionals... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,407 Replies, 596,993 Views
How Much Do You Need to Earn... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
41 Replies, 18,951 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
12,111 Replies, 3,890,637 Views
Software developers salary outlier ( 1 2)
13 Replies, 2,881 Views
Work culture in CPF board ( 1 2 3)
23 Replies, 35,114 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,803 Replies, 1,183,399 Views
Singapore LNG Pay
4 Replies, 1,421 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
85 Replies, 123,703 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
10,916 Replies, 6,036,990 Views
Pay grade at CSA ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
150 Replies, 40,242 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,055 Replies, 836,162 Views
Any Kaplan students here can land... ( 1 2)
15 Replies, 2,348 Views
Part-time Higher NITEC in...
2 Replies, 1,994 Views
Allied educator scheme
2 Replies, 716 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,017 Replies, 1,161,322 Views
Advantages
3 Replies, 1,340 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
168 Replies, 18,230 Views
Credit Suisse - IB Academy
0 Replies, 123 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 11:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2