Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2014, 10:11 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I've already received an offer from the firm that made you one But I'm hoping to get an offer with a firm of equal standing in corp work (you should know which one I'm referring to)

In response to the slightly patronising (?) posts above that I suspect may be by the same individual(s) - just for some context, I'm attending a upper-mid tier uni outside of London with a strong 2:1. I have received rejections from two mid/small sunset firms but I've also received offers from "big/top mid" firms. I also have batch mates with firsts who got their offers even before summer ended.

I recognise the scramble and I recognise that the uni you come from does count. My friends in lower tiered unis are not getting jobs but if you're within the usual batch of top/mid-tiered unis - it's not *that* bad and no you will not end up doing conveyancing in some AMK firm. Don't panic (yet)

Also (1) grades are not end all be all, your cv/CCA/personality counts too. Strong 2:1s and above should at least get you some consideration. (2) interning with a firm would definitely help and if you shine really brightly, it may lead to an offer, who knows. (3) apply early!!
At the end of the day I personally feel that it's a combination of everything - there's no magical formula behind this. But graduating with a first always helps

Just my twocents & speaking out of my own personal experiences with this cycle thus far
I don't get a sense that he or she was being patronising; merely stating a fact.

Something to bear in mind also is the question of retention. Many firms are willing to take in more trainees than they need for the RLT and TC periods. Whether all are retained is another matter. Of course a TC is not a guarantee of employment, but some firms have better track record of retention, others have an atrocious record.

Alas, Singapore does not have a developed legal market where firms' retention rates are closely monitored in legal industry magazines or websites. Hence, firms can do these things with impunity without fear of impact on their reputation. In the UK for instance, students in the subsequent years know which big firms have a poor retention rates for the preceding batches. In any case, it appears to be an hirer's market now. Nothing much for us to do but to suck thumb and accept what we have.

Just something to keep in mind if you're lucky to have options. Ask around. Just don't ask the firms themselves because they will never give you the real answer.