Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 23-11-2014, 10:59 AM
Verified Member

lifeistough is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
since it is peak season to apply for TCs and given that there are so many seasoned lawyers hanging around here - i thought i would take the opportunity to ask some questions that you can't usually get away with in normal interviews.

1. how is the culture in a big 4 firm like? does it differ drastically from the mid firms (e.g. Rodyk, Shook Lin, TSMP)?
i understand that most of the time it really does differ from team to team; i've had amazing internships with X team in A firm, while most of my peers found said firm to be off-putting. but i was hoping that someone could possibly give just a bit of insight into their department/firm, if that is even possible.

2. is it a better idea to do your training at a big4 firm > the other big-mid firms? in terms of exposure to more interesting work and deals, working under more experienced partners, better resources, etc. does it really make a difference?

3. any general advice for someone looking to gain a place in corp/M&A and within a big 4 firm.
hello! I can't really give advice on the first two as I'm still a student but on the third I can. I got offered a spot in m&a in one of the big4 last week (but I didn't take it as I'm heading to an international firm) and I have another friend who got the same spot and a few others who are still waiting. Here are some common points that I saw:

1. Internship definitely matters. If you aren't applying for TCs in this cycle (if you are, its too late for internships except for the two big 4 that aren't officially open yet). Firms definitely use the internship as a starting point for assessment. That said though I don't think the lack of an internship severely disadvantages you as I got my other offer without having done an internship with the firm.

2. Everyone who applies has a good gpa, however as a general rule (I've seen this repeatedly for different firms) they will interview (and offer) those with higher gpas first. The difference is rather stark; My friend (who got the offer) and I are in the top 15-20% and we got interviews within the first week, our other friend in the 20-30% range got theirs 3 weeks after (with offers at that point already having been given out). So be realistic with your chances.

3. At this point in the application cycle I strongly believe that most of the spots in the m&a department in the big4 firm that has been open for some time have been taken up. I think I was one of the last offers (but then that spot wasn't taken up haha). So again be realistic.

4. You definitely want to highlight your interest in the industry. Play up any experience that you may have in commercial matters (you can pm me for details).

5. Be mentally prepared for technical questions. The reason why I added 'mentally' is because there is no way to prepare for these questions. Review your company/ corporate law syllabus but there may be questions beyond. I was asked questions on the Employment Act (and I was applying for m&a) so I believe they are looking for coherence and critical thinking rather than technical ability.

6. You need to know, for yourself, what sets you apart from your peers (you can pm me for details).

Good luck with apps! Having got an offer definitely removed a huge huge load off my shoulders. Good luck with finals too (if youre from a local u)!!