Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - what happens in your 40s / 50s
View Single Post
Old 15-10-2014, 06:37 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by quek View Post
I'll be hitting the big 4-O very soon. As I'm just a middle manager, I think I may have already hit a plateau in my career.

I have some questions which I constantly worry about:

1. Is it much harder to switch jobs in your 40s-50s? What do the older people usually do if they are unhappy with their current job and/or the company situation becomes unfavourable?

2. Will the salary hit a certain level and stay there? My older friends seem to suggest that salaries will hit a plateau, e.g. salary hits 10k and stays at 10k till retirement / retrenchment. Is this true for the companies you know?

3. This question may seem silly, but I don't see many old people in my company. Do you observe this in your company? Where do the older people go? I constantly wonder what will happen to me when I get older.

Appreciate your advice and sharing.
I am 41 this year. I have learnt to adopt the 'I don't know what will happen tomorrow' mentality. Thus, I try and make sure I don't spend every last cent, and have some money invested. That way, if I am retrenched, or if I get fed up and want to leave, I won't be in a pickle.

It doesn't matter if your pay plateaus. The same principle should remain. Make hay while the sun shines, but make sure you store some of that hay for when the sun doesn't.