Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 28-08-2014, 02:37 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Contingency fees(where lawyers get a cut) aren't allowed in Singapore. You could get disbarred for accepting them. That said though I don't think the glut is going to decrease prices much... The barrier is still the number of training contracts on the market. The number of these directly limits the number of new lawyers.
There are two paths: flood the country with many qualified-in-name-only lawyers by removing the training contract requirement and only stipulating that would-be lawyers need only pass the bar exam. THis ensures competition amongst lawyers for low-level work and force them to keep prices competitive for the common man's benefit. Something like the American system.

The second is to keep the status quo. this means the number of lawyers doing family and criminal law won't decrease, because they still have to get through the training contract stage by securing & completing one. There won't be any price decreases then.

The way I see it, for the first path legal fees for the common man will be low, but you run the risk of incompetent and inexperiennced lawyers screwing up your matters. In the second path, legal fees are more expensive but you're paying a premium for competence.

I'm not saying that a half-year TC period magically transforms one into a competent lawyer, but the training that one gets during the TC is closely associated with his/her continued mentorship with experienced lawyers in a law firm setting post-qualification.