Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay
View Single Post
Old 17-08-2014, 02:35 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Why put others down? Because of your low self esteem? Because you are an elitist? Pte U or not, people work their ass off for it. Career search is more than just a degree. Every person is different.
I agree, there are too many trolls around. But sometimes, a reality-check is highly recommended. Just as there are many trolls that put down SIM grads, there are also SIM troll grads here that inflate their own salaries. "Fresh UOL second lower 4k no exp" that kind where you know are totally not true. Because this leads to crazy high expectations that cannot be fulfilled.

When I grad from SIM last year, i took the first job that had a good environment and was paid 3.2k. Although it was 5.5 work week. While some of my friends couldn't find jobs for 5 months after grad. When I asked them why, I found out that they were asking for 3.8k and above and had super high expectations. I mean, having high expectations is good, but one must also be realistic. Because they've been fed so much lies on forums like this, they really believed that they could get such jobs. And because of that, they probably turned down offers that most people would consider good.

Its sad that SIM does not want to conduct graduate employment surveys like the local universities, at least then we can have a truer reflection of graduate salaries.

Sure, the degree means nothing, its just a piece of paper. But when it comes down to knowledge, I don't think I can say that what I learnt in 3 years in SIM ISM is the same as what an SMU IS grad has learnt in 4 years. Because hell, they took 4 years, and took more modules than me.

But its because of this, that I knew that I had to do something about it and taught myself other skills and computer languages. My younger sister was in SMU IS at the same time and I made sure that I knew just as much as her, sometimes going through her notes and tutorials once she was done with them. The thing is, as an SIM grad, you already know you are behind one year's worth of content as compared to other schools. You know that employer perception is disadvantageous against us as well. So what are you gonna do about it? Whine and complain and keep saying 'not fair'? No, that won't help at all. Go out there, get internship experience, get a masters degree, do your ACCA for accountancy peeps.

To be honest, I don't think its the degree at all that makes the difference. When I see my sis, its really her out of school activities that really puts mine to shame. Overseas attachment, community projects, competitions, attending extra public lectures and seminars given in the other universities. She does all these things out of her own will, even if they won't be penned down in her CV. Just an advice for uni students, be it local or private, don't just depend on your degree. Every Tom, Dick and Harry is a degree holder nowadays. Do something to stand out and go beyond.