Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Finding job via recruitment agencies
View Single Post
Old 14-05-2014, 08:54 AM

aplover is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Had many bad experiences with recruitment firms.

They insisted you to sign an agreement contract with silly terms such as need to pay for a placement fee, compensate them if you leave with X months, etc.

Most of them called them headhunter are actually telemarketer who just want a copy of your resume and has little or no knowledge on the industry they are helping to hire.

Some of them would tell you to lie about your working experiences so that you can secure the job in the interview.

My take now is:

1) "Hello, I am a headhunter", put down that phone instantly

2) Can you forward me a copy of your resume? Sure, give me a copy of the job description from the hiring company first

3) Accept invitation from linkedin from recruiters selectively

4) Let's talk. Sure, but never in your office, but at a time and place of my choice.
The higher end jobs will mostly not be openly advertised, instead done via headhunters. You have to know which headhunters are worth working with. I'm from the commodities sector, there are a few headhunters who specialize in this field. So i just work with these headhunters and only few of them who are good.

I'm very open to receiving calls from headhunters as i also want to know which company in my industry is hiring. Commodities industry isn't very big so to a certain extent, most people know each other. Such information is good to have.

There are the crappy recruit express kinds of recruiters and there are the discreet and highly specialized ones like smaller boutique firms.