Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2014, 06:53 PM
towers

Quote:
Originally Posted by name_less_user View Post
I wanted to practise what I've learned from my years of engineering training, which explained why I did not take up the statutory board offer at that instance.

Looking back, the whole episode made me a more resilient and composed individual. I've enjoyed the joys of working in a cohesive team and participated in stimulating technology development projects.

But I unreservedly agree with you that I suffered a financial penalty for my decision. Nonetheless, I've to ultimately put food on the table and a tenure beyond my bond with the company is unsustainable.

Wonder if anyone can shed some light on my queries?
1) Would my background and experience be deemed unattractive or irrelevant to public agencies?

2) Also, I would like to hear everyone's comments on whether my current unattractive package would undermine the terms of any offer that I might receive from the public service agencies.

3) What would be the likely job grade and pay package that I should expect?
1) Civil service is generalistic. Your background/experience shouldn't matter, especially if you're going into policy/strategy side. I had zero relevant experience, and I still got the job.

2) civil service is also pretty fair with pay. They will not undercut you just because you are on a much lower package now. It will be comensurate with your qualifications and experience.

3) I was an overseas scholar too, top student from a top London uni. I left in between to join the private sector, then rejoined the service with about 7 years working experience. I was offered slightly more than 6.5k base. Average annual bonuses at my board are 4-5 months. I got about 7 months in my first year. I reckon you should get offered around 5.5-6k. Hence your annual should easily hit at least 80k.

In fact, I think you would be looked on favorably for having chosen to serve out your bond. Shows that you are not a job hopper.