Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 28-04-2014, 07:33 AM
Unregistered

My personal take on academic education is that a person, without sponsorship nor scholarship, acquiring a degree should be enough. If that degree comes with honours, he should aim to get that. Beyond that, Masters or PhD, should NOT be attempted at your own expense. The risk here is that no employer would want to employ you without prior work experience and the higher degrees may make it hard for them to place you.

So stop at the degree level, get employed then secure a company scholarship or sponsorship to further your studies. That way, at least you will know that there's a job waiting when you complete your further studies, and that when they sponsor your studies, they would want it to be in an area which is relevant to your job.

The CS or at least Stat Boards ,recognized the private degrees their staff attained while in service but not those who are not yet employed by them. Guess one of the reasons is that they already assessed the capability of the staff through their work.

The other thing to note is that that piece of academic paper does not guarantee that you will perform in the job, especially if the paper is awarded by a not so recognized Uni. where there is no track record that the grads do well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnsg99 View Post
trying to apply civil service job.
is MBA recognized?

I had local poly diploma, then part time degree through kaplan, 2nd lower. then part time MBA through NUS, 2nd lower(based on cap).

it's likely they won't value my kaplan degree. not sure if they accept nus mba?