Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much are you earning per annum?
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2014, 09:55 AM
Unregistered

If what you said about HDB SERs is correct, then it means private property prices will be supported by HDB prices.

I think in buying a condo, the most important thing is location. That is why I will be looking for a condo located next to an MRT station. I am searching in the West area which is near my parents' place. I did some research and I found the Lakeside District to be very appealing. The 3 condos I will want to consider seriously are: The Lakeshore, Caspian and The Lakefront Residences. These condos are new / brand new and located near the Lakeside MRT station. The lake area will also be developed with new attractions in the coming years.

Wish me luck in selling my flat fast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aplover View Post
Your point of depreciation of HDB flats isn't really correct because number of years left on the lease isn't really factored into the 'valuation' of the house as HDB does SERS so it's almost like there's 'unlimited freehold'. I think it's a concept that exists only in Singapore. People expect and price into the market the fact that HDB will buy back the HDB units when it's old enough. So far i think the oldest flat now is not more than 40yrs (i might be wrong on this)?

But this is clearly different for leasehold private property. No one is going to buy back your property unless it's enbloc and that's an entire discussion and chances are much less slim. Number of years on leasehold private property is clearly factored into the price.

Seriously if you are paying so much for a property, the least you could do is get freehold unless you are buying a brand new leasehold 99yrs old one and planning to selling within 10yrs