Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Be a commodities trader
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2014, 10:57 PM
Unregistered

Looks like the commodities line is quite quiet or lacking interest. Maybe i post some salary related information and people might get more interested to join. My history has always been in physical commodities with some paper experience.

I started 7years ago as operations assistant in a metals company. Salary 3k. Promoted to junior trader just before i left after 1 year. Slight increment to 3.2k.

Jumped to agriculture sector as junior trader and annual increment exercise salary went up to 3.85k. This is at yr3.

For Yr4, i left the commodities industry for personal reasons and didn't do much work actually. Did my own thing and see more things around the world.

Yr4, i came back into the industry after realising i still love the industry. I got this opportunity through a recommendation. 5.6k.

Yr5, internal increment as did well 7k. Then nearly got poached to go into my previous sector. Discussed nicely with my boss my situation. 10k.

Yr6, still 10k. Left the company after having differing opinions on work with new bosses

Yr7, started in new company 12k.

Above just base salary only.

I realised once i hit about 5-6k. I was contented already. I didn't spend necessarily more when i earned more after that and didn't really need to work for the money. Just worked for enjoying it and love the challenge. Drive a simple car for family use. Can afford some luxuries once in a while. Give more to charity and to church. So pretty happy.

I have been deeply blessed to rise up like that although yes i know there are others better than me but more important is i'm contented with what i have and plan to give more as i earn more as really don't need it. There are still alot of poor and struggling people in Singapore so i donate to charities who target these groups mostly.

Cheers