Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Whats your net worth
View Single Post
Old 24-01-2014, 09:06 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If you think about it, having a job is a blessing. Many people are jobless or in non-full time employment. So if you are currently in employment, hang on to it. You just have to go to transitioning.org to understand the pain of being jobless and being rejected time and time again in your job application.

Being in a job carries with it many benefits both financial and for the soul. The financial benefits are of course:

1. your salary
2. Medical benefits for you and family
3. leave,
4. Business class travel (if you qualify)
5. sponsorship for upgrading courses
the list goes on.

A job gives you purpose. If a company employs you, it means that you are contributing to something that is needed by society at large, no matter how small your contribution is.

There are many people in their mid 50s who still have school going children and even housing loans. So I thought it was irresponsible to urge people to go into retirement without first advising them to check on their financial commitments.

Back to my $5m. Although the amount is adequate to see my wife and I well into our golden years, I am not considering retirement because I love my job and I think I am making a difference. I have good colleagues - young and old. There are still so many things to learn from the job. Many times, the money is not the motivating factor. It is about overcoming challenges and delivering.

That said, I am not against retirement. Retirement without planning what you want to do next is going to leave you totally lost and feeling empty. Many only have a vague idea what they wanted to do, but find themselves directionless and lost their self esteem once they quit their job.
Wonder why ppl like to compare... eg.. be happy that you are at least employed... so many ppl jobless. be happy if you are staying in a 2R hdb, there are ppl sleeping under the bridge, be happy if you can only afford prata, there are ppl starving everyday... You are so so wrong to think that way... we have choices and we choose what we want... you choose to work till you are old, because you are afraid to let go what you have now.. (based on your statements above, salary, benefits....) don't you have friends outside office? you only have colleagues to hang around?