Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much $ do you give your parents every month?
View Single Post
Old 07-08-2013, 07:47 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
From a parent's perspective. My daughter started working 2 months ago, taking home around $2.5k. She dutifully gave me and my wife $200 each.

As a parent, this is a proud moment, signifying another important milestone in life where your offspring becomes a contributing member to society. As working parents, the allowance we receive from our child is not material, as we are not dependent on it. However it warms our heart for the filial piety shown by our child. We will be saving all her contributions to us for her future. We will receive the money graciously and gratefully as we know how much it means to her.

Even when we retire, we will be financially independent because of the passive income stream we built up. We didn't tell her to give us any allowance, it was out of her own will. This makes it extra special.

I think many of you may not be aware, parents are touched most by filial children. It is not the amount per se. Contribute what you can reasonably afford, but most importantly be around to talk to them, keep an interest in their lives - these things are priceless. If your parents don't need your money, you can rest assured that the money will come back to you when they are gone.
I really hope all parents think that way, but sadly, not all parents think the same way as you do... When I was taking home around 2K, I gave my parents 500... and my parents still complained that it's peanuts. If I spend money on things I like, they never fail to mention that I still owe them money. And seriously, I've never thought of wanting to inherit whatever they have anyway. But they constantly remind me that if I don't listen to them or obey their wishes (which can be quite unreasonable), I won't be able to get their money.