Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - How much $ do you give your parents every month?
View Single Post
Old 31-07-2013, 08:31 PM
Unregistered

Hi hi,

Every family is different and then there is the generational / educational factor. For example, the mental model of my parents' generation was to have the children look after them in their old age, financially and otherwise. The trend then was to have many children in the hope that at least one if not all would do well enough to take care of them. Many people of that generation also tended to have lower education. So I supposed they also earned less and depending on their children for support was the only practical choice.

Fast forward to my generation (in our 50s to early 60s), the mental model of the better educated ones is now to be financially independent in our retirement years. We recognized that our children will face a more competitive work environment with high cost of living. And we don't want to add to their burden, to have to depend on them for financial support. What we wished for is for our children to independent and successful in their lives. Any allowances from them are just icing on the cake.

However, for the lower educated ones among my peers, I understand their mental model is the same as my parents' generation. They still depend on their children for financial support. I know it is tough on the children. I know because I supported my aged parents and children. That is why I am very determined to be financially independent of my children when I retire. They should not have to be burdened in this respect.

Having said that, do not cause your parents grief. Try and understand them and their needs. After all they brought you up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi there,

I would like to think my parents are just like you. But i think it really differs from parents to parents.. Both my parents are not working I give them 700 a month.

I have to say I really dont spend that much. Most of the money are used to finance my housing loan, insurance. But recently I told them I m intending to go for a overseas trip with my friends and my parents replied saying how do i get so much money to go for trips. If i have money for trips i should contribute more to the household instead..

On top of that, I have observed my parents at home once when i was on MC. They basically just watch tv, sleep and do minimal housework but they like to make me go out and buy things and do chores for them and scold me for not helping out for housework when i return home each day really tired from work.

Much as i think they might really need more money because they are not working. Their attitude makes me feel reluctant to do so. Not sure if anyone experience the same?