Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay
View Single Post
Old 23-05-2013, 10:50 PM
Unregistered

Default also onoveC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Not true with the extra credentials. It doesn't work as well as people think. Boils down to luck too.

I'm a UOL grad, passed my CFA level 1 during my student days, ranked in the top few percentile globally during my first attempt at Bloomberg Assessment test and I'm a Captain in a sports CCA in school, having won medals for school yearly. I've been sending out resume since yr 1 for internship, and have sent out in total 400+ resume since... Response rate... Abt 0.1%? And all are rejections. I asked many people to look through my resume and cover letter and the way i send my application for mistakes, everything seems fine. I even got one UOB HR lady to look through, she thought it was good, and even spend 30 minutes helping me edit my resume to find grammatical errors. but when I send my resume to them, not even an interview for internship in Ops. My friends still find it puzzling, I'm a super odd case.

I do read very widely, during my free time. I research extensively in the industry of my dreams.. hahaha.. I keep up to date with news and daily stats, spending extra money for WSJ, economist and FT sub (Which I read religiously, but ran out of cash for economist sub renewal). But most importantly if no one wants to give you even an interview, all that extra edge you build is nothing but personal interest and empty dreams.

2 Months back, I got selected by school for an interview before they help me send my resume out for an internship. They were very impressed by me during the interview and I was the best candidate they seen for the job yet. (That was the only relevant industry interview granted to me during my 3 years in UOL) They asked me to write up extra stuff so they can help me send in to the firm. I'm very touched that the school was willing to help, alas in the end, the firm did not give me an interview to prove myself. I'm very confident in interview, but if no one gives me the chance for an interview, then what? I've seen some of my friends with what you mention read subject guide only and score jobs I wanted and applied, and I'm not even given interview.

Sometimes i still feel down and regretted not studying to get into SMU BA, I'm only eligible to get into IS when i applied. The difference with employers' attitude between SMU and SIM UOL is extremely stark. I once sneaked into a certain firm's career talk in SMU.. It's like they are begging SMU students to join them and even got the CFO down. Meanwhile, my friend in SIM investment club told me some banks think SIM is a waste of their time for career talk when they called.

Anyway.. It's all about luck. I've just finished my final paper and looking for job FT. I'm expecting to graduate with minimum 2:1 and very very close to 1st... keeping my fingers crossed. Still no luck with my hunt. Anw, I hope all you guys job hunting all the best! For UOL students, yes, I've heard and seen good stuff happened to people from UOL. It's just luck sometimes.. Don't give up!
from E&F here. No cca and nothing. Was doing part time jobs in year 1 and 2 while studying full time in SIM. Gotten my CFA level 1-2 at the end of my year 2 in SIM. Already secured my FCH in year 2 so year 3 was pretty relaxing for me. Got a ops role in UOB back office in tampines and converted to part time studies in my final year. Things were pretty hectic but i still could manage it. Left my job in feb to take a break and to focus on my exams (to see whether i could get a gold award ) Started my job hunt around in april, went to numerous interviews for mid office positions. Mainly analyst roles (risk mgt / fx settlements etc) with SCB, Morgan stanley, OCBC, DBS. Sent out about 40resumes to many banks and FI , hit rate is about 40% ? Already in my 2nd interview with morgan stanley and SCB, still waiting for the responses frm ocbc and DBS after my 1st interview with them. But at the same time im looking at other sectors such as commodities trading houses ( mainly physical trading but also bit on paper trading, either agri or energy)

My point is - every interview i went (errr.. about 10 or so? ), the interviewers were pretty impressed on how i managed to maintain my grades in such hectic schedules daily. Interviewers dont care whether you're a president of a SIM school club. Quoting from 1 of the interviewer i had , she said SIM-UOL is already a 3rd tier degree, without coursework, sem assessments, semester reviews by prof, etc etc. If one still couldn't get a FCH for it then it says a lot about your capability. Pretty harsh i say, but these are hard truths. Of coz ppl may argue academic ability doesn't determine one's ability.. well you dont tell me.. go tell it to most of the recruiters in banks.... 1 of my fnd was recommending me to go into stat boards and start from a "farmer" role then applying for post-grad sponsorship...
To all jobseekers , dont lose hope but pls open your eyes wide and see what's the reality out there. A FCH in UOL is as good as a average pass degree from local U...no big deal about it