Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Serious Qns for Bankers from a student-IB FO, hedge funds, PE etc
View Single Post
Old 05-05-2013, 12:02 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMayC View Post
I don't know if I'll get serious (or any!) replies, but here goes:

tl;dr: Bankers please contribute your wisdom! Many thanks
hey sis,

I suggest you do not read too much into those glam posts by Donny, doesnt apply to you...

if you feel you are not interested in med, I suggest you bail out fast... but you must be very sure on that you arent interested in med....

its impossible for you to be sure on what you wan to do in finance industry unless you are in...

and its nigh impossible to be a chooser on what you wan to do... you get into the best job you can get your hand on for your 1st job...

iits unrealistic to have a goal and say you only want to work in PE and turn down an IB job offer... usually PE hire people with IB experience

its also quite nonsense to say you only wan to do algo trading... very often you would not know what is algo trading until you are in algo trading

just do well for your exams, 1st class, dean list, valedictorian then you get to choose...

at the entry level, be it in PE, HF or IB, the recruitment requirement is pretty much the same.... and maybe the day to day boring routin stuff you do is not much different...

the most standard route is to go into IB grad program, I mean not just M&A or Corp fin, ECM stuff in IBD, you can do sales, trading or research in markets, even private bank...

once you got the bulge bracket name on your CV, you can always have choice to jump to HF or PE, who usually hire from sell side or from MBA program...

not that you cant go into HF or PE straight away after grad but it s much harder and I always think the brand name of bulge bracket is always helpful when you start out..