Serious Qns for Bankers from a student-IB FO, hedge funds, PE etc - Page 3 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Serious Qns for Bankers from a student-IB FO, hedge funds, PE etc

Old 05-05-2013, 12:02 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMayC View Post
I don't know if I'll get serious (or any!) replies, but here goes:

tl;dr: Bankers please contribute your wisdom! Many thanks
hey sis,

I suggest you do not read too much into those glam posts by Donny, doesnt apply to you...

if you feel you are not interested in med, I suggest you bail out fast... but you must be very sure on that you arent interested in med....

its impossible for you to be sure on what you wan to do in finance industry unless you are in...

and its nigh impossible to be a chooser on what you wan to do... you get into the best job you can get your hand on for your 1st job...

iits unrealistic to have a goal and say you only want to work in PE and turn down an IB job offer... usually PE hire people with IB experience

its also quite nonsense to say you only wan to do algo trading... very often you would not know what is algo trading until you are in algo trading

just do well for your exams, 1st class, dean list, valedictorian then you get to choose...

at the entry level, be it in PE, HF or IB, the recruitment requirement is pretty much the same.... and maybe the day to day boring routin stuff you do is not much different...

the most standard route is to go into IB grad program, I mean not just M&A or Corp fin, ECM stuff in IBD, you can do sales, trading or research in markets, even private bank...

once you got the bulge bracket name on your CV, you can always have choice to jump to HF or PE, who usually hire from sell side or from MBA program...

not that you cant go into HF or PE straight away after grad but it s much harder and I always think the brand name of bulge bracket is always helpful when you start out..

Old 05-05-2013, 01:15 PM

BSD is on a distinguished road

Started by not jumping on the med school band wagon, did multiple banking internships in global markets, starting full time this year.

No FO internships = no hope for you + try the back office

Old 06-05-2013, 01:22 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSD View Post
Started by not jumping on the med school band wagon, did multiple banking internships in global markets, starting full time this year.

No FO internships = no hope for you + try the back office
true true true ...

possible to get into FO without internships but possibility is bery small

Old 24-10-2013, 10:21 AM
Unregistered

Smile Hedge Fund IR

Hello all. Was trying to search for information on hedge fund related topics and came across this thread. Anyway, I'm just wondering if there is anyone here in the hedge fund investor relations role? Able to share with me what are the career prospects like and commanding salary? I'm a fresh grad from a private university.
Old 24-10-2013, 12:16 PM
Unregistered

love donny's posts. very insightful. i'm sure donny would care to share more around here.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:53 PM
Unregistered

Is it better to start from a small boutique shop internship then move to IB or straight cold email alumni network to land an internship at IB?

Old 10-03-2014, 04:14 PM
Unregistered

Default UOB Privilege Banking

hi guys,

sorry for hijacking the thread. i know this is rather unrelated, but its its still in the finance industry. I m thinking of a mid career switch to priority banking, and am thinking of UOB privilege Banking onshore. Anybody has any idea about its culture? very aggressive sales targets?

I was just speaking to a friend s friend the other day and it sounded rather ominous. The cluster head had just mandated that everyone who failed to hit a minimum insurance target be required to stay back in the office everyday for night calls from 6-9pm daily, regardless if you ve a family. Also those who fail to meet the insurance target by end month have to pay a fine of $100.

Is this common practice in retail banks? I thought there s some kind of code of conduct, etc governing banks? I thought it sounded like product pushing. Can bosses just fine employees like that in singapore?
Old 10-03-2014, 09:38 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
hi guys,

sorry for hijacking the thread. i know this is rather unrelated, but its its still in the finance industry. I m thinking of a mid career switch to priority banking, and am thinking of UOB privilege Banking onshore. Anybody has any idea about its culture? very aggressive sales targets?

I was just speaking to a friend s friend the other day and it sounded rather ominous. The cluster head had just mandated that everyone who failed to hit a minimum insurance target be required to stay back in the office everyday for night calls from 6-9pm daily, regardless if you ve a family. Also those who fail to meet the insurance target by end month have to pay a fine of $100.

Is this common practice in retail banks? I thought there s some kind of code of conduct, etc governing banks? I thought it sounded like product pushing. Can bosses just fine employees like that in singapore?
Welcome to the world of banking sales, you do have the choice of not joining. What's your current job?
Old 11-03-2014, 05:24 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
hi guys,

might want to try other banks. heard uob s culture is quite different from the rest....