Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Really that bad for engineers?
View Single Post
Old 15-02-2013, 02:39 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Well written piece.

To each his own, I would say. As an old fart engineer, I can safely say that our engineering training has made us quite versatile. Engineers can switch line quite easily except of course to those professions that require extensive training (like doctors). We have engineers who became lawyers, teachers, accountants, bankers, entreprenuers, politicians etc..

People (engineers are no exception) need to find their right fit, so if they can find it early the better for them. Sometimes the push to move can come from within the comppany - the environment, the pay, working hours, the job itself etc... Many of my cohorts especially those with 1st and 2nd upper honours have moved away from engineering work early in their careers without regrets! We are talking 25 to 30 years ago! A good number from the civil service/stat boards, SAF and MNCs, so no particular trend there.

Engineers' remuneration are not exceptional, but if one stick it out to the end (retirement), it is sufficient to lead a comfortable life, to bring up a family, have a condo, car and comfortable retirement. The more gungho ones would have owned landed properties.
Wonderfully written.

But the world today is so much more different. I remember one guy named richard posted on this thread long time ago saying how he got to riches by joining the german MNC in 1980s and eventually reaching the peak of corporate world, earning multi-million. The world is different now, and i doubt many engineers can last to the end without being retrenched. . Besides, the high cost of living and low salary increment will push engineers to explore alternative careers.

I need advice here too. Been following this thread for two years (was free in NS) and still have not decided. Currently have a placing in Mech Eng (NTU). Wondering if it will be wise for me to change course. I have interest in programming, physics and business/finance. Appreciative to the one who told me about taking up masters in finance / MBA after some work experience. Again, there are many naysayers saying that will be futile. Really confused by so many opinions out there.

Is there any way of breaking into finance by doing a b.eng? I can switch to computer engineering too, my results are abv avr and i can change to many course (except business course in local uni, straight aces these days). Or perhaps i should apply to SIM-UOL business/finance programmes?

As much as i wish to do a bachelor in my field of interest, i wish to be in good financial health too.