Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Dilemma: Accountancy vs Investigator
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused_88 View Post
I'm actually quite keen to join the govt sector but I'm just worried about fitting in back to the private sector for accounting positions after a few years if I feel I'm not suitable being an investigator.

Also, I think govt positions (doing investigation work) for commoners like me seems hard to break the 10K p.m ceiling after maybe 20-30 years? If I'm wrong please correct me...
Generally speaking, if you have a ACCA or CPA cert but no relevant experience and waster 3-4 years in a niche government job, the only accounting jobs you will get is going to be account assistant or account executive max. Be prepared for a paycut as such jobs pay <3k.

Based on current ranges, most civil servants will not hit 10k in their lives. 10k is the max of MX11, i.e. Deputy Director. Most civil servant end their career at around 8-9k. If you are a very good performer, you might reach MX10, the start of superscale as Director 10-15k. If you are superstar and play max politics, a very tiny group of farmers will hit MX9 as Senior Directors 15-22k.

15-22k might sound high for a civil servant, but as far as top performers in pte sector goes, that is ground nuts & tapioca. High potentials in pte sector can hit this sort of pay by early - mid 30s.