Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - pay for gov/public sector vs mnc vs sme
View Single Post
Old 21-10-2012, 02:05 PM

cslee is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbee View Post
I am in the compensation consulting industry and the facts that this guy bring to the table is more accurate with my experiences. 15k monthly base is really just a senior managerial role. If 15k is the pay of any one deserving of a COO title, which we can all pretty much agree that he is probably within the top 5 highest paid in any company, he is severely underpaid, let alone 75th percentile. But I do have to point out that salary information from recruitment firms are usually slightly inflated and the manner of them gathering the data is quite dubious. But I guess it's good for just a rough idea. It would be more accurate to get compensation data from firms who specialize in such market data such as Mercer or Hay Group.

Relevant to the topic at hand though, I think a lot of people here sum up my views in pretty much the same manner. ultimately you gotta know what is your personality and how you can fit into the working culture and what you ultimately want to get from a career.

if you're a farmer, i believe CS is really just a pretty stable job. Got quite a lot of WLB one right I heard? One week working hours maybe less than 50?

if you're a scholar and you're in CS, then I guess you're bound to be earning loads.

if you're in a SME, i think it's really debatable. Some SMEs seriously cannot make it, some still alright. Probably depends on industry, your jobscope, and how you make the best out of it to launch you somewhere else.

if you're in a MNC, the pay ceiling is definitely the highest and opportunities are definitely the most bountiful assuming you have the drive and ambition to succeed.
At last, someone is talking some sense, not like the other guy who totally missed my points in making swiping statements against a respectable sector in totally out of context manner. Government service is definitely not the highest paying sector but it's the most predictable career path (consistency here) i.e. you should be able to feed you and your family comfortably well and spend quality time with them. If you do work *consistently* smart/well and maintain good working relationships with your peers and bosses, I see very high chance (another consistency) of least retiring at MX9 and above. Just that most of the young officers don't last that long (including scholars - yes, many won't stay long either). I've with the service for quite sometime. Many had joined same time with me, but my batch only left with very few (sometime you can't help but can feel quite lonely at just beginning of mid-way).

Increments may be slow at beginning but can get quite rewarding in longer time span i.e. law of compound interests of 4-8% p.a. for average joe with occasional promotions of 8-15% (another consistency).

Having said that, you still won't be as rich as the top private bankers, top managers, top accountants etc unless you are absorbed into AO (very rare but still possible).

On the other hand, private sector is more rewarding and at same time chances of getting nowhere is also real e.g. US MNC is known to hire generously and fire quickly. Personally, I knew quite a few business acquaintances were hired into VP roles at young age in some IT US MNC but were at gone after 1-3 years (heard of being "fired" or "retrenched"). I also noted someone in thread mentioned that being unpredictable is fun. But I also do believe many still prefer stability (another "consistency" in career).

Last edited by cslee; 21-10-2012 at 02:09 PM.