Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - pay for gov/public sector vs mnc vs sme
View Single Post
Old 16-10-2012, 05:42 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by cslee View Post
According to the latest post of this website, an above-average COO / GM at 75 percentile made $15K. According to your definition, a COO is a low level manager. Never mind if there is only 1 COO per private company and there are usually several MX9 in any single government agency. So, where do you think you'll stand a higher chance to get into that level?
Look here, I have no interest in getting into that whole argument about fake titles, real titles, small co. big co. etc. If you include in SMEs, even ah beng mobile shop boss is called CEO. My friend who runs a small cafe with 4 staff calls himself GM, AFAIK he draws like 4k monthly. 15k basic is only 180k annual, go to any of the HRC salary reports and you will see plenty of positions exceed that.

My point to TS is simple. The world is much bigger than goc jobs. If he thinks he is a strong performer, pte sector grants him plenty of space and opportunity to expand and the potential rewards are much higher than a high performing farmer can ever get in government. If he thinks he is average, dont have the drive to cheong etc, my advice to him was to just opt for civil service.