Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 04-04-2024, 10:26 AM
Unregistered

Got called to the bar, joined a small law firm with starting pay 5k+, boss was micromanaging me, gaslighting me, did not provide what he promised me during the interview (area of practice etc and case files etc), was not given proper guidance, and had to work 7 day work weeks for 5 consecutive weeks.

On the 6th week, I was able to go out with my parents once and I planned a full day outing with them just to spend time with family. I got called by my boss at 9am asking if I could come to the office to do work again. I told him that I was out then and can come to the office at night if absolutely necessary. He hung up and called me again at 12pm when I was having lunch with my parents. I told him I was still out and he said, I quote, "you have already been out with them for 3 hours". This was after 5 weeks of 7 day work week and on a weekend nonetheless.

I immediately tendered my resignation on Monday and he came to talk to me, offered me a pay raise and apologized for all the abovementioned and asked me to consider staying. I said I would think about it and get back to him the next day. (I did not think about it, I just wanted him to take the time to reflect on his attitude). I told him the next day that I was not intending to stay and he immediately said that he withdrew his apology because it was my fault for misleading him on that weekend by not telling him that I was out with my parents and made him assume that I was free to come to the office to work.

That short period of time in that firm felt like forever. I have now moved in house and everyone is an angel. pay wise took a small cut but believe me, even if the pay cut was even bigger than it is, I would still take it. Have never been happier. I now can do whatever the hell I want with my free time, I am respected at work, am not being gaslighted and do not have to walk on eggshells.

Just writing this post to let people know how toxic the work environment in law firms can be especially if they are led by boomers who think your entire life revolves around them because they pay you a measly salary (which you are completely entitled to given the amount of billables you bring in for them).

I recently heard from an ex-colleague that said boss is struggling to find a new associate who can tolerate him. For new grads/newly called to the bar juniors, please do your research on the attrition rate at the firm before signing the contract. On hindsight, I should have recognised the red flags when the predecessors/legal execs/paralegals resigned 2-3 weeks after joining.