Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 17-03-2024, 05:45 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Just sharing a thought here eh. The teaching profession used to have only 2 SEO positions in school. The P and VP were the only ones with that grade. The rest will be teachers with time based promotion and a fixed MI every year. Bonus was very much also shared based on ranks. Back then was GEO1A1, 1A2, 2A1 … etc. Over the years, the political leadership felt that there is a need to identify good and bad performers and EPMS came about. That’s was 2008.

Now if you think about it as a system point of view, you are simply taking the bonus from the “poorer performer” and gave it to the “better performer” There is almost no additional resources required but it makes the people in the system worked harder than they used to. It becomes a grinder of sort. It might make sense in the corporate world where costing and revenue are immediate on a year on year basis. We are talking about kids here. Can we be very sure what you do now has a big impact? What are the matrix involved in looking at success? What happen when a wayward child became someone 20 years later and attributed his or her success to the teacher 20 years ago? Will the teacher be rewarded then?

The next question is you have to ask yourself how much are you willing to give to get to top 20? I agree with one recent comment on sustainability and costing. At the end of the day, there is little control over promotion and PB grades since there is so much more

I am in the ranking panel and have seen questions like that pop up all the time. However, I too stand to be corrected 🙂
I just want to point out that the reason why the PB bonus was changed to this way is exactly because people complained that hard working teachers were not recognised for the work that they did when bonuses were meted out via the salary grade. It's truly ironic that we're now back at wanting equal annual bonuses for everyone.

I guarantee that if we reverted to the old way, you'd see a different group complaining about how they get paid the same as their lazy counterparts.