Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Really that bad for engineers?
View Single Post
Old 23-07-2012, 10:25 AM
Unregistered

Hi guys, I got a story to share. I'm not an engineer but my younger brother is.
Just a year younger than me.

He started off very mediocre with no honors and just a pass degree for local uni. It took him awhile to get hired. His first job was at one of the local telcos. Thereafter, he moved to join another GLC. Moved on to 2 MNCs after that and finally moving again to a ministry. Every job after his first, he was either recommended by colleagues (who moved elsewhere) or brought along when his manager moved. So I won't say he is a job hopper but rather he was poached.

He was not technically gifted but he had the right attitude and ambitious. As I understand, he stood out because he was always willing to meet clients, problem solver and vocal. Always ranked top performer, he had 7 month bonus (top-tier) at the local telco. At his last job at a MNC, his boss counter offer him almost $6k per month to stay. Nevertheless, he decided to join ministry because the job scope offered to him allowed more client interaction and less programing.

I think engineering is not as bad a profession as most put it to be. With the right aspiration and motivation, you can be as equally successful as other professions. Don't give up!