Really that bad for engineers? - Page 67 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Really that bad for engineers?

Old 23-07-2012, 10:25 AM
Unregistered

Hi guys, I got a story to share. I'm not an engineer but my younger brother is.
Just a year younger than me.

He started off very mediocre with no honors and just a pass degree for local uni. It took him awhile to get hired. His first job was at one of the local telcos. Thereafter, he moved to join another GLC. Moved on to 2 MNCs after that and finally moving again to a ministry. Every job after his first, he was either recommended by colleagues (who moved elsewhere) or brought along when his manager moved. So I won't say he is a job hopper but rather he was poached.

He was not technically gifted but he had the right attitude and ambitious. As I understand, he stood out because he was always willing to meet clients, problem solver and vocal. Always ranked top performer, he had 7 month bonus (top-tier) at the local telco. At his last job at a MNC, his boss counter offer him almost $6k per month to stay. Nevertheless, he decided to join ministry because the job scope offered to him allowed more client interaction and less programing.

I think engineering is not as bad a profession as most put it to be. With the right aspiration and motivation, you can be as equally successful as other professions. Don't give up!

Old 26-07-2012, 02:41 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Hi guys, I got a story to share. I'm not an engineer but my younger brother is.
Just a year younger than me.

He started off very mediocre with no honors and just a pass degree for local uni. It took him awhile to get hired. His first job was at one of the local telcos. Thereafter, he moved to join another GLC. Moved on to 2 MNCs after that and finally moving again to a ministry. Every job after his first, he was either recommended by colleagues (who moved elsewhere) or brought along when his manager moved. So I won't say he is a job hopper but rather he was poached.

He was not technically gifted but he had the right attitude and ambitious. As I understand, he stood out because he was always willing to meet clients, problem solver and vocal. Always ranked top performer, he had 7 month bonus (top-tier) at the local telco. At his last job at a MNC, his boss counter offer him almost $6k per month to stay. Nevertheless, he decided to join ministry because the job scope offered to him allowed more client interaction and less programing.

I think engineering is not as bad a profession as most put it to be. With the right aspiration and motivation, you can be as equally successful as other professions. Don't give up!
if considering all things equal, his counterpart in banking & finance would have made much more. for example, a mediocre performer in banking can easily move up to 10k/mth within his career lifetime.

tales of retrenchments are just tales. empirically, there were more retrenchments for engineers as compared to banking employees.

Old 26-07-2012, 09:08 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by okcan8808 View Post
Of course, to some people, success = $$$$. I'd like to see how happy they are on their death beds. But to his brother, he seems to have some intrinsic joy in being good at what he does.
If you are truly happy with your situation, you won't be surfing this forum. Remember this on your death bed.

Old 26-07-2012, 10:13 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
if considering all things equal, his counterpart in banking & finance would have made much more. for example, a mediocre performer in banking can easily move up to 10k/mth within his career lifetime.

tales of retrenchments are just tales. empirically, there were more retrenchments for engineers as compared to banking employees.
Although i agree that engineers do not earn high amount here, but it is kinda tiring that every time there will always be people who like to compare with the banking & finance sector. Come on, this b&f sector is in the top 5% salary bracket in singapore and not everyone can get in. Don't say about engineering, most sectors are also incomparable with b&f in terms of salary. Unless you are a top graduate from a reputable U, then its no use to moan about your salary shortfall. Lets take life as it is now.
Old 26-07-2012, 11:24 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Although i agree that engineers do not earn high amount here, but it is kinda tiring that every time there will always be people who like to compare with the banking & finance sector. Come on, this b&f sector is in the top 5% salary bracket in singapore and not everyone can get in. Don't say about engineering, most sectors are also incomparable with b&f in terms of salary. Unless you are a top graduate from a reputable U, then its no use to moan about your salary shortfall. Lets take life as it is now.
You are so wrong. There are more poly-privateU grads in banks than those from the big 3 unis, and most can make it to VP level within 15 years.

Everyone works hard, but those in banking earns more. Much more. And the truth is they aren't smarter or hold higher qualifications.

It's your loss if you don't even try to get in.
Old 27-07-2012, 09:29 AM
Unregistered

Hey guys i'm currently working as MSO in one of the stat board here. Worked for 1.4 yrs with salary at 2.4k with diploma in electronics.

Im taking part time studies with uniSIM right now in engineering. Would you ppl think it is best for me to work in an engineering field for experiences or just stay put with my current job? Really need some opinion frm the seniors here.

Old 27-07-2012, 03:08 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs up

If everyone wants to become a banker, what do you think will happen to our economy?

Not all in banking earn more. Just the top ones. Just like any other profession. There are those earning alot and there are those earning mediocre.

So you think all the rich people in Singapore are bankers? Cannot be right.

Quote:
You are so wrong. There are more poly-privateU grads in banks than those from the big 3 unis, and most can make it to VP level within 15 years.

Everyone works hard, but those in banking earns more. Much more. And the truth is they aren't smarter or hold higher qualifications.

It's your loss if you don't even try to get in.
Old 29-07-2012, 02:11 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
If everyone wants to become a banker, what do you think will happen to our economy?

Not all in banking earn more. Just the top ones. Just like any other profession. There are those earning alot and there are those earning mediocre.

So you think all the rich people in Singapore are bankers? Cannot be right.
The mediocre performers in banking are earning much more than the mediocre engineers in engineering companies.
Old 30-07-2012, 10:42 AM

poor and stupid is on a distinguished road

I think this topic already drifted to b&f bashing, and e-penis flouting.

The final point is, a degree or diploma engineering graduate DOES NOT earn more working as an engineer compared to one working in a non-engineering sector makes all the point.

Imagine medical degree not working in the pharmaceutical industry but earns more than one working in it? Law graduate earning more working in non-legal sector than one working in it?

Think about which course actually pays less for specialization and post it so we can have further discussion...
Old 30-07-2012, 03:33 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Hey guys i'm currently working as MSO in one of the stat board here. Worked for 1.4 yrs with salary at 2.4k with diploma in electronics.

Im taking part time studies with uniSIM right now in engineering. Would you ppl think it is best for me to work in an engineering field for experiences or just stay put with my current job? Really need some opinion frm the seniors here.
I am your senior whom have already graduated from the electronics course a few year ago... My advice to you is to immediately switch course to either business or accountancy... When you see all your ex-classmate who studied engineering driving taxi while living in small HDB flats... Just remember that it was i who saved you with my advice..

You can ask around... even until today, UnSIM is still frowned upon in the government sector, irregardless of course... Many UniSIM graduates face discrimination when looking for jobs..... At the end of the day, it is better that you do your degree in NUS/NTU if you want to open more doors...