Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 19-02-2024, 02:12 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Do you have kids in preschool and kindergarten?

Almost all the teachers there are foreigners.

And when you go to university, a large portion of faculty staff are foreigners too.

If we are fine with foreigners teaching our youngest and oldest students, why so special for the middle P1 to JC students?
Yes, I have kids that have gone and going through both stages recently (presch and kindergarten).

You don't sound like an EO.

Are you familiar that while everything seems like they somewhat sits in the purview of MOE, it doesn't stand for Ministry of Everything. The ministry doesn't have full control or autonomy over the hiring practices of the entire industry. Even in pri to JC, the BOG and SMC dictates the hiring practices to a huge extent. They are the legal owners of these schools.

I ask that you review the presch industry in totality by looking at the MOE Kindergarten besides those under ECDA. Do you have kids that go through MOE Kindergarten? The pre school remuneration is significantly below median income in SG (<50% of what the average sgporean earns). This does make the industry less attractive to locals and with very real challenges to hire, compromises have to be made. That said, we should not say we are adverse to hiring foreigners. We just need to balance and prioritise based on needs and constraints.

We shouldn't close the gates, and neither should we leave it open with no regard.

On your last point, another consideration is that university students should not require such measures to "safeguard" them from influence. It will be embarrassing if we think our students in tertiary level will need policy level interventions. Most should be able to discern and flag out such influences. The youngest is nevertheless a worry, but I suppose we have to balance with the not so attractive job market and hoping these kids are too young to really be suited for indoctrination that cannot be corrected in primary school.