Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment
View Single Post
Old 11-09-2023, 10:22 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I don't know whether you are the long essay writer. But if you are, then you were responding to me. Again, I thank you for your lengthy, passionate defence of the industry. The thing is, it was never an attack. I simply wanted to know why people were staying.

Sadly, I was in fact an accountancy graduate from the 3 local unis. But my friends and I have all left. A number of us have left the industry entirely, while the rest are in peripheral roles such as IA, compliance etc. Call it what you will, but to the layman out there - internal audit, compliance (to an extent), FP&A and of course, group consolidation are all accounting roles. We are splitting hairs here.

It's just that my friends and I had a gathering recently, and we were somewhat bemused that we had all mostly left the industry. And that's why I was asking, did we miss something that you good folks did not?

We were also (somewhat) surprised that the IGP for accoutancy had fallen for all 3 local unis. It is what it is.
U nailed it exactly.

That guy who keeps writing those long essays upselling accounting has just drunk the Kool Aid. Don't really blame him because he has a vested interest in trying to defend the "honor" and "prestige" of his chosen path.

But his attempts to draw extra fine distinctions between IA, fp&a, external audit, treasury etc etc are all merely hair splitting.

Weekend he goes to his wife's house eat dinner with in-laws and try to explain to them that he works in fp&a, very important role, very intellectual role bla bla bla. To his father-in-law, accountant jiu shi accountant. plain and simple. lol.

At the end of the day, accountant = accountant. That's what the public sees. And more importantly, that's what the market pays.

If you're good, you will rise to be a CFO and rake in the $$. Don't need to talk/write so much rubbish long essays to preach to the choir.

In the meantime, get in line and join the army of ex-Big4 audit alumni vying for 1 of the better paying roles out there. No good? Then settle for a mediocre-paying accounting-related role like the vast majority of accounting-trained people. LOL

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app