Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 18-03-2023, 11:26 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Rubbish. I sat on a ranking panel in the recent past and we have happily given so-called 'farmer' officers A grades before. Not just GEO2/3 BTs, but also GEO4 and 5 experienced teachers. When this happens, or alongside this, they start to get opportunities to prove themselves with bigger projects and responsibilities, just like scholars do.

Sure, they don't get 'automatic high CEP' right at the start. Sure, they will probably never make DGE or Deputy Secretary. But would I say they have no prospects and are destined to a stereotypical farmer's life? Not at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Agree with you. I’m also a fellow panelist on the ranking panel. Ranking system is actually a relatively fair and meritocratic process. If an officer is good, he/she is good and most people will be able to tell the quality and range of his/her work. You don’t need a “loud” RO to fight for you if your work can speak for itself. The ones who fall in the fringes are those who do decent work but nothing to wow about because they are just doing their job. If you are just doing your job, you will get your monthly salary. Bonus is for your performance at work. A C grade is actually a “good” performance. Most pple forget that or equates “hard work” as “good work”. Just because you worked hard, or super long hours, it doesn’t mean your work is good. If you are given opportunities to showcase your skills, no matter how big or small those opportunities are, and you don’t make use of them well, you have only yourself to blame
I'm not a scholar, nor am I a KP. I know that there are fair KPs and SLs like yourselves, and I really respect you guys. Unfortunately, the truth is that good people like you aren't common. I wish more of KPs like yourselves can be part of my career.

I am a GEO4 who got a C with quantum 1.5 only despite doing school wide projects, and also a demanding workload. What is really fair or unfair? No one actually really knows because ranking is pretty much the least transparent activity in this system. KPs and SLs will cite confidentiality as the main reason, and I completely understand that, which is why I choose to just accept it.

However, because it is such a grey area, many politics come into play, because humans are still the ones running the system. When I was still back in NIE, a current school KP shared that ranking is one of the most controversial activities, despite the fact that they "try to be as fair as possible". He was visibly uncomfortable when answering questions from student teachers, and I suppose we can't blame him either, since there is always a higher power supervising the KPs.

Some would suggest a toxic panel and to change schools. But things are not so straightforward as to just "oh I can transfer, just need to wait 3 years". A colleague of mine has been trying and failing to transfer out every year due to "excess teachers" elsewhere. Another one could not transfer and was blocked due to "shortage of manpower" in the current school.

To some extent, we can only depend on luck sometimes.