Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries

Career as Teacher

Old 18-03-2023, 07:16 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
You were not clear initially, but now the blame is on me? It was you who said you tanked most of the work in the department. Nothing about ‘department events’. And now, you go on to explain their personal concerns, etc and ‘lead the way’?

A typical KP, I see. Unclear communications.
Aiyo… don’t vent your frustrations online bah. Take a chill pill. Have a good break before term starts!

Old 18-03-2023, 07:28 AM
Unregistered

Ya I’m super frustrated reading such comments just before term starts. It’s like invalidating the efforts of the department members!

Quote:
Aiyo… don’t vent your frustrations online bah. Take a chill pill. Have a good break before term starts!

Old 18-03-2023, 08:16 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Ya I’m super frustrated reading such comments just before term starts. It’s like invalidating the efforts of the department members!
The person nv invalidates la. Anw, just do your best in your job can already. If you have given your best but don’t feel appreciated, then just change schools. There will surely be nasty KPs and good KPs out there. You just need to find the right place with the right ppl whom you can work best with. Our system is really quite fluid. At most just need to tolerate for 3 years.

Old 18-03-2023, 08:18 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Also, department events are supposed to be distributed according to YOUR plans. You mean, officers just tell you their concerns and you will TAKE OVER the work? Isn’t that being unfair to those who do not have other commitments outside work?

Are you then depriving such officers the opportunity to learn and grow?

It’s really unhealthy for KPs to do such things. As we can clearly see here, this KP has taken over MOST of the work in his/her department, then goes on to claim credit here, and most probably in front of SLs.

So unfair to those under him/her.
KP delegate work to dept members = why is the SH giving so much work to do
Its so unfair!

KP takes on additional burdens to offload some of the dept members = why is the SH depriving his JOs of opportunities to shine and stand out??

This is why a lot of teachers end up being stuck where they are. You all live in a world of your own where you think that you're the only one deserving of good grades and promotion. Only GEOs do work, SEOs only shake leg and earn big bucks.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Old 18-03-2023, 09:03 AM
Unregistered

Some undeserving KPs also go on to become SLs.
Lousy people stay and go higher and higher, good people are leaving and leaving the system.
So unfortunate
Old 18-03-2023, 09:39 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Thoughts bout leaving in june?
Getting June pay but forgoing the midyr bonus.
The best time to leave is either in jan after getting connect payout

On in apr/may, after getting pb.

The above months factored in the 1month notice period.

Just make sure you got a job offer before you throw letter, given the economic situation.

Once you get a job offer, can quit anytime.

Old 18-03-2023, 10:13 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
The person must be, or else a high tier scholar.
Otherwise how to get A for a normal officer?

Even outstanding but non-scholar officers may not smell an A grade at all.
System wide unfairness
Rubbish. I sat on a ranking panel in the recent past and we have happily given so-called 'farmer' officers A grades before. Not just GEO2/3 BTs, but also GEO4 and 5 experienced teachers. When this happens, or alongside this, they start to get opportunities to prove themselves with bigger projects and responsibilities, just like scholars do.

Sure, they don't get 'automatic high CEP' right at the start. Sure, they will probably never make DGE or Deputy Secretary. But would I say they have no prospects and are destined to a stereotypical farmer's life? Not at all.
Old 18-03-2023, 10:24 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Rubbish. I sat on a ranking panel in the recent past and we have happily given so-called 'farmer' officers A grades before. Not just GEO2/3 BTs, but also GEO4 and 5 experienced teachers. When this happens, or alongside this, they start to get opportunities to prove themselves with bigger projects and responsibilities, just like scholars do.

Sure, they don't get 'automatic high CEP' right at the start. Sure, they will probably never make DGE or Deputy Secretary. But would I say they have no prospects and are destined to a stereotypical farmer's life? Not at all.
Agree with you. I’m also a fellow panelist on the ranking panel. Ranking system is actually a relatively fair and meritocratic process. If an officer is good, he/she is good and most people will be able to tell the quality and range of his/her work. You don’t need a “loud” RO to fight for you if your work can speak for itself. The ones who fall in the fringes are those who do decent work but nothing to wow about because they are just doing their job. If you are just doing your job, you will get your monthly salary. Bonus is for your performance at work. A C grade is actually a “good” performance. Most pple forget that or equates “hard work” as “good work”. Just because you worked hard, or super long hours, it doesn’t mean your work is good. If you are given opportunities to showcase your skills, no matter how big or small those opportunities are, and you don’t make use of them well, you have only yourself to blame
Old 18-03-2023, 11:13 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Also, department events are supposed to be distributed according to YOUR plans. You mean, officers just tell you their concerns and you will TAKE OVER the work? Isn’t that being unfair to those who do not have other commitments outside work?

Are you then depriving such officers the opportunity to learn and grow?

It’s really unhealthy for KPs to do such things. As we can clearly see here, this KP has taken over MOST of the work in his/her department, then goes on to claim credit here, and most probably in front of SLs.

So unfair to those under him/her.
A wise man will be able to see through the clouds. I am not sure if you are the initial writer who commented that KPs are the ones who do less works and only know how to delegate work and claim credits over works done by his or her JHs.

Please, I am the opposite who listens to my JHs' needs and support them. Support also ganna distort the good intention, don't support also ganna useless.. damm hard to do leh..

I am not your RO and different RO has different style. So please be rational and look at things. If not, I will see that you just hate the whole system and everyone that is on top.
Old 18-03-2023, 11:26 AM
Unregistered

Quote:

Quote:
Agree with you. I’m also a fellow panelist on the ranking panel. Ranking system is actually a relatively fair and meritocratic process. If an officer is good, he/she is good and most people will be able to tell the quality and range of his/her work. You don’t need a “loud” RO to fight for you if your work can speak for itself. The ones who fall in the fringes are those who do decent work but nothing to wow about because they are just doing their job. If you are just doing your job, you will get your monthly salary. Bonus is for your performance at work. A C grade is actually a “good” performance. Most pple forget that or equates “hard work” as “good work”. Just because you worked hard, or super long hours, it doesn’t mean your work is good. If you are given opportunities to showcase your skills, no matter how big or small those opportunities are, and you don’t make use of them well, you have only yourself to blame
I'm not a scholar, nor am I a KP. I know that there are fair KPs and SLs like yourselves, and I really respect you guys. Unfortunately, the truth is that good people like you aren't common. I wish more of KPs like yourselves can be part of my career.

I am a GEO4 who got a C with quantum 1.5 only despite doing school wide projects, and also a demanding workload. What is really fair or unfair? No one actually really knows because ranking is pretty much the least transparent activity in this system. KPs and SLs will cite confidentiality as the main reason, and I completely understand that, which is why I choose to just accept it.

However, because it is such a grey area, many politics come into play, because humans are still the ones running the system. When I was still back in NIE, a current school KP shared that ranking is one of the most controversial activities, despite the fact that they "try to be as fair as possible". He was visibly uncomfortable when answering questions from student teachers, and I suppose we can't blame him either, since there is always a higher power supervising the KPs.

Some would suggest a toxic panel and to change schools. But things are not so straightforward as to just "oh I can transfer, just need to wait 3 years". A colleague of mine has been trying and failing to transfer out every year due to "excess teachers" elsewhere. Another one could not transfer and was blocked due to "shortage of manpower" in the current school.

To some extent, we can only depend on luck sometimes.