Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 30-12-2022, 06:24 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgregxit View Post
Life of a farmer is tough, hang in folks!

Currently MX12, NS, Arts 1st class. I've been in an agency for 2 yrs, doing policy work, and will be rotating to another dept soon. I know it's likely a long road to MX11, but am thankful to have good bosses recognizing my work so far. Got a B in first eval yr, and likely to maintain the grade in second eval yr based on my latest discussion w RO (but will only know in Mar 23 ofc)

But I'm questioning my long term market value given my arts degree background. Should I jump to another agency like MTI / EDB now and gain more "marketable" skills or remain in my current agency? The road to MX11 seems tough, and I'll likely only reach there in another 3-5 yrs. By then I'll already be early 30s.
Well then, it depends if you think you will be a career civil servant.

If the answer is yes, then I would say stick to good bosses for now - these are hard to find. Good bosses recognise your work and talents if you are good, and will likely put you up for leadership programmes in time. Almost every agency has a leadership programme to groom next-gen directors, and then there are even more high-level 'universal' programmes like PSLP that stretches across the entire civil-service.

Civil service skills are not non-transferrable. However, if you feel like you want to leave the door to the private sector a little more open, then yes you should try to go to agencies/departments with more "marketable" skills as you have mentioned. Some skills like marketing, communications and HR are in a sense more transferrable then say policy, investigations and ops.