Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Pay as an accounts assistant
View Single Post
Old 27-03-2012, 10:01 AM
QXP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imbiah View Post
hi I am back. have been working in the company for close to 7 months at a miserly 1.8. have spoke to my heads about my degree last yr. they said they will look into it and now it is the end of March and apparently they are still looking into it. long story short, have decided to stop waiting for them to look into it.

so I went job hunting. kept getting job offers as accounts assistant (again) and a salary of 2.3. pardon me if I sound really ignorant here, but shouldn't a degree garner a higher position instead of an assistant again? I understand that i do not have a lot of work experience as of now, maybe like for accounts related, close to 1 year? 7 months here plus 4 months from a previous stint.

is it the fact that my degree is not that recognized, or the market is bad now or I really do not have the experience to step into a higher role.

please advise as I am really feeling quite confused now.
I see you have been fortunate to get some quality advice on top, it is not easy to get knowledgeable advice here.

There are 2 issues here – the job title (Finance Assistant) and the pay (2.3k offered).

Job Title – Theoretically with an accountancy degree you can apply for a Finance Executive role, but the market reality in Singapore is such that we are now flooded with Finance/Accountancy graduates due to the hype on banking in the past 5 years. People who have very good CVs but fail to make the cut in a bank’s FO are now active and competing in the corporate finance space as well.

Your major disadvantage would be your weak degree, lack of accreditation and absence of experience in a big 4. My prediction is you will eventually end up with either Assistant offers from big companies or Executive offers from smaller companies (which is not really different from an Assistant role anyway).

The Finance function is a highly competitive place. Since you have made a conscious decision that Big4 is not your cup of tea, you prefer work life balance and would like to go for ACCA at your own pace, you need to moderate your job expectations as well. Finance & Accountancy world isn’t the place that offers what you are looking for.

Pay – 2.3k is pretty decent considering your background. Employers will not give much stock to your 7 + 4 months patchy experience anyway. Despite the hype around the accountancy profession, most Finance Executive jobs average at 2.7 – 3.5k starting as well, so considering your background, 2.3k is also around what I would offer if I’m looking for someone with your CV.