Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - settle for an engineering course or retake exam?
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2012, 09:55 AM
Unregistered

My brother looks forward to work. He has 2 hour lunches with his colleagues and they hang out after work. Weekend they gather for activities like golf etc.

Myself? Everyday I prepare for a battle at work. My lunch hours are at best 45 minutes and often I buy food back to my desk. I have no more energy after work. Go home, bathe get ready for another day at work.

Sure, I earn alot more money than him. I bought a continental car but I drive it to work before sun rise and drive it home after sun sets. It feels good for awhile but the that good feeling fades away so quickly.

So what do I do with the extra money?

I could buy a house. Probably can buy a Condo quicker than he can afford. Yet, he would still be able to afford a condo later anyway.

I can splurge on high-end dining. How much more satisfaction can that bring? Expensive clothes, how much more?

At the rate I am going, I would probably stress out and have health problems later in my life. How much is that worth?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If you want to max your salary: Do well, get MNC experience on your resume. Go take GMAT and get into a good MBA program. Apply to investment banks.

Now, consider this. I have a brother 1 year younger than me. He graduated with a computer engineering degree, local uni. Work-wise, he is a pretty smart chap and is doing very well in a MNC - doing project based, programming work.

He is 1 year younger than me, drawing a salary (high 3k). I'm drawing a salary >$10k in finance sector (also a local grad)

However, he has arguably much easier life than I am. I start work at 7 and end work at 9pm. He starts work at 9pm and leaves office on the dot (at 6pm)

I work 1 weekend on average per month. He has never worked a single weekend for the last 2 years.

My work is highly stressed and my firm expects tip top performance from me at all times. My brother switches off the moment 6pm ends. He gets by being mediocre. Firm don't expect much from him as he is just 1 of the many engineers in the company.

Which kind of life do you prefer?