Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Ex-MOE Teachers
Thread: Ex-MOE Teachers
View Single Post
Old 18-05-2022, 07:12 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I have been working as an FAJT for 4 months. On the side, I give tuition. I am pleasant surprised that this arrangement gives me quite a good income. However, I also know that my income would be lean in June and December since we are not paid during the school holidays. And I have to give tuition every single day if I want an attractive income.

I am in a dilemma: should I apply to return to teaching as a permanent staff or should I continue to be an FAJT? Being an FAJT is almost stressless compared to teaching full time.

The benefits of being a full-time would be recognised as a full time employee and paid hols but I do not fancy the 24/7 stress that comes with it, being ranked and worry about getting a D every year.

Is there any ex-teacher who went through the same dilemma and returned to teaching full-time?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If you have a family to support (with kids, car etc), going full time will make better financial sense. If you are single and without kids/car etc, FAJT route makes sense for better mental well being.
1. For family support, it is more financially stable, but much more mentally unstable, if you get what I mean. You will also most definitely have less time with your family.

2. Don't get too overly hung up about lowered income in June and Dec. Use those periods for a break for yourself. I am quite sure the total annual does not differ much (perm vs. FAJT + tuition). On top of that, you can be much more flexible with your work schedules.

3. So many people I know are going for the FAJT route already. Nowadays, work-life balance and mental health matter much more to employees. And I'm sure it is the same for you too

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app