Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Personal Banker - advice
View Single Post
Old 28-02-2012, 04:52 PM

justanotherguy is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Personal Banker - advice

Hi, im leaving saf in a couple of months time after serving a bond of 5 years and am graduating with a SIM - UOL finance deg.

I've went for a few job interviews with various banks for the position Personal banker. From what i've learnt is, they are called Personal bankers, Personal financial Consultant, Relationship Managers, etc.

I know its tough because it requires alot of determination, capacity (soft skills) and loads of hardwork. Its been my 'aim' to get this job for awhile already. Yesterday, i had my 2nd interview with POSB and was utterly shocked when presented with certain information.

BRANCH MANAGER:
1) "I have family but no life. I work from 8am - 11pm almost everyday"
2) "This job takes the hell out of you"
3) "mon to sat full day, alternate sunday roadshows"
4) "The time now is 7pm, ITS STILL EARLY"

I wanted to ask her if she's married but she was really scary and demanding. Also, i wanted to ask if she has the time to spend her money away.

Okay, back to myself, Im leaving saf because i wanna make a name for myself as i believe i can do better in the corporate world. Im ready to strive hard and do whatever it takes to succeed.

HOWEVER, i really believe that i should spend some time with my family and my girlfriend. Im really vexed up. I need some advice. Is she scaring me off? Is she those career-minded freak? Is the Personal Banker role in banks really this busy and no life? I wouldnt mind work 6 full days a week and at least spend a day with friends or family. BUT 7 days a week 4 weeks a mth?...? seriously...? Where's the work-life-balance that has been advocated?

I really need some constructive advice if this job is really that taxing and if i should look for other jobs instead.