Personal Banker - advice - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Personal Banker - advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 28-02-2012, 04:52 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3
justanotherguy is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Personal Banker - advice

Hi, im leaving saf in a couple of months time after serving a bond of 5 years and am graduating with a SIM - UOL finance deg.

I've went for a few job interviews with various banks for the position Personal banker. From what i've learnt is, they are called Personal bankers, Personal financial Consultant, Relationship Managers, etc.

I know its tough because it requires alot of determination, capacity (soft skills) and loads of hardwork. Its been my 'aim' to get this job for awhile already. Yesterday, i had my 2nd interview with POSB and was utterly shocked when presented with certain information.

BRANCH MANAGER:
1) "I have family but no life. I work from 8am - 11pm almost everyday"
2) "This job takes the hell out of you"
3) "mon to sat full day, alternate sunday roadshows"
4) "The time now is 7pm, ITS STILL EARLY"

I wanted to ask her if she's married but she was really scary and demanding. Also, i wanted to ask if she has the time to spend her money away.

Okay, back to myself, Im leaving saf because i wanna make a name for myself as i believe i can do better in the corporate world. Im ready to strive hard and do whatever it takes to succeed.

HOWEVER, i really believe that i should spend some time with my family and my girlfriend. Im really vexed up. I need some advice. Is she scaring me off? Is she those career-minded freak? Is the Personal Banker role in banks really this busy and no life? I wouldnt mind work 6 full days a week and at least spend a day with friends or family. BUT 7 days a week 4 weeks a mth?...? seriously...? Where's the work-life-balance that has been advocated?

I really need some constructive advice if this job is really that taxing and if i should look for other jobs instead.

Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 28-02-2012, 05:10 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I thought u said, u r going to give it all out. Now, heard something negative and u r thinking twice.

Seriously, I do not think u hv any experience at all, since u r in SAF.

If u don't put in effort at all, how to chase yr dream after SAF.

U would be lucky enough to get into any bank and give it a try. And stop all excuses....

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 28-02-2012, 05:19 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3
justanotherguy is on a distinguished road
Default

thanks. straight and precise. appreciate ur comment.
ive bought a hse with my girlfriend, thats the only thing stopping me. i dun wish to lose a wife by accepting a 7days a week job that eats your life out.

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 28-02-2012, 05:23 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherguy View Post
Hi, im leaving saf in a couple of months time after serving a bond of 5 years and am graduating with a SIM - UOL finance deg.

I've went for a few job interviews with various banks for the position Personal banker. From what i've learnt is, they are called Personal bankers, Personal financial Consultant, Relationship Managers, etc.

I know its tough because it requires alot of determination, capacity (soft skills) and loads of hardwork. Its been my 'aim' to get this job for awhile already. Yesterday, i had my 2nd interview with POSB and was utterly shocked when presented with certain information.

BRANCH MANAGER:
1) "I have family but no life. I work from 8am - 11pm almost everyday"
2) "This job takes the hell out of you"
3) "mon to sat full day, alternate sunday roadshows"
4) "The time now is 7pm, ITS STILL EARLY"

I wanted to ask her if she's married but she was really scary and demanding. Also, i wanted to ask if she has the time to spend her money away.

Okay, back to myself, Im leaving saf because i wanna make a name for myself as i believe i can do better in the corporate world. Im ready to strive hard and do whatever it takes to succeed.

HOWEVER, i really believe that i should spend some time with my family and my girlfriend. Im really vexed up. I need some advice. Is she scaring me off? Is she those career-minded freak? Is the Personal Banker role in banks really this busy and no life? I wouldnt mind work 6 full days a week and at least spend a day with friends or family. BUT 7 days a week 4 weeks a mth?...? seriously...? Where's the work-life-balance that has been advocated?

I really need some constructive advice if this job is really that taxing and if i should look for other jobs instead.
Relax and just take the job first if you are offered. You may like it or leave if you really hate it. There is no bond working in a bank.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 28-02-2012, 05:24 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

My advice - since you are already set on leaving SAF - DONT LOOK BACK

Take the job, try it first.. tell your girlfriend about the job you are going to take on and make sure that she must support you 100%. Generally, most people in banks work long hours..I used to work in a bank for 12-13 hrs a day but sat/sun not included as I am not in front-line sales.

Give yourself a timeframe, say 1 full year, and see if the reward vs the sacrifice is worth it. Also during that time, see if you want to be personal banker for a few years, before moving or try to move to another role that gives you more time.

Dont be afraid to work hard, if you are, you are making a wrong move to the corporate world.

Dont let people discourage you easily.. I am sure a lot of people laugh at Steve jobs when Microsoft was the invincible giant.. with determination, work SMART and hard, sweat it out.. do you best. After some time, weigh your options, see where you are and what you want to acheive.

Good luck bro.


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 28-02-2012, 05:28 PM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 309
Bean is on a distinguished road
Default

TS should just stay in SAF, as an officer at least rank CPT, salary at least 5k
Reply With Quote

  #7 (permalink)  
Old 28-02-2012, 06:04 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean View Post
TS should just stay in SAF, as an officer at least rank CPT, salary at least 5k
I know a Major rank will give you at least 8k and this info was accurate for at least 10 years ago. By now, I think it should get you 10k?
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 28-02-2012, 07:11 PM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 231
cslee is on a distinguished road
Default

It's probably true. My colleague's husband was with a POSB branch. But I remember the hour was not that long, probably start later (~ retail hours) and most weekends were burnt for road-shows and training. Plus a very demanding lady boss. Compensation was not that fantastic either. Probably the only advantage was that the bank location was very near his place. It's a raw deal. He left within a year and now doing IT corporate sales. Now come with flexi hours and earning much much more.
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 29-02-2012, 11:02 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by justanotherguy View Post
Hi, im leaving saf in a couple of months time after serving a bond of 5 years and am graduating with a SIM - UOL finance deg.

I've went for a few job interviews with various banks for the position Personal banker. From what i've learnt is, they are called Personal bankers, Personal financial Consultant, Relationship Managers, etc.

I know its tough because it requires alot of determination, capacity (soft skills) and loads of hardwork. Its been my 'aim' to get this job for awhile already. Yesterday, i had my 2nd interview with POSB and was utterly shocked when presented with certain information.

BRANCH MANAGER:
1) "I have family but no life. I work from 8am - 11pm almost everyday"
2) "This job takes the hell out of you"
3) "mon to sat full day, alternate sunday roadshows"
4) "The time now is 7pm, ITS STILL EARLY"

I wanted to ask her if she's married but she was really scary and demanding. Also, i wanted to ask if she has the time to spend her money away.

Okay, back to myself, Im leaving saf because i wanna make a name for myself as i believe i can do better in the corporate world. Im ready to strive hard and do whatever it takes to succeed.

HOWEVER, i really believe that i should spend some time with my family and my girlfriend. Im really vexed up. I need some advice. Is she scaring me off? Is she those career-minded freak? Is the Personal Banker role in banks really this busy and no life? I wouldnt mind work 6 full days a week and at least spend a day with friends or family. BUT 7 days a week 4 weeks a mth?...? seriously...? Where's the work-life-balance that has been advocated?

I really need some constructive advice if this job is really that taxing and if i should look for other jobs instead.
The story is probably true.

I worked as a mortgage specialist in OCBC 2 years ago, so essentially was a personal banker for people looking to buy HDB or condos. Hours were long as most of my clients were working, almost everyday I meet people back to back from 6pm to midnight, sometimes donít even have time for dinnerÖ

As for Saturday & Sunday of course all burnt on either some road show or meet client since most would prefer to meet during weekend. Itís a lot more hectic because you need to meet them at places convenient to them, so I was all over Singapore and probably as good as taxi drivers wrt Singapore roads.

Between the normal 9 to 6 working hours, itís either meeting ad-hoc client, team meeting, training or doing all that admin stuff. My boss actually not bad and tries his best to coach us, itís just that the nature of the job is like that, once you slack there will be problem meeting monthly KPI which is usually a combination of product mix % and loan value.

If you are more generalist kind of RM details might be different, but I think work hours and stress should be roughly the same.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 29-02-2012, 10:32 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 3
justanotherguy is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
My advice - since you are already set on leaving SAF - DONT LOOK BACK

Take the job, try it first.. tell your girlfriend about the job you are going to take on and make sure that she must support you 100%. Generally, most people in banks work long hours..I used to work in a bank for 12-13 hrs a day but sat/sun not included as I am not in front-line sales.

Give yourself a timeframe, say 1 full year, and see if the reward vs the sacrifice is worth it. Also during that time, see if you want to be personal banker for a few years, before moving or try to move to another role that gives you more time.

Dont be afraid to work hard, if you are, you are making a wrong move to the corporate world.

Dont let people discourage you easily.. I am sure a lot of people laugh at Steve jobs when Microsoft was the invincible giant.. with determination, work SMART and hard, sweat it out.. do you best. After some time, weigh your options, see where you are and what you want to acheive.

Good luck bro.

Thx bro for the advice... May you prosper in ur career.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Investment Banker Making 500k pa Gives Excellent Advice Salary.sg Income and Jobs 11 10-04-2011 01:51 PM
Private banker income Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 22-12-2010 04:54 PM
Vacancy for Human Resource Executive, Personal Assistant, and Telemarketer alvisthor Marketplace and Find Work 1 22-09-2010 04:09 PM
100k for Assistant Private Banker Salary.sg Income and Jobs 7 17-05-2008 08:21 PM
6-figure a month for private banker? Salary.sg Income and Jobs 5 13-12-2007 11:20 AM

» 30 Recent Threads
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
17,131 Replies, 6,430,577 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,190 Replies, 2,401,737 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,139 Replies, 564,123 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
455 Replies, 240,370 Views
Micron starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
430 Replies, 160,077 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,601 Replies, 2,022,232 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,791 Replies, 844,790 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,970 Replies, 1,920,312 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,217 Replies, 8,903,573 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,128 Replies, 253,192 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,755 Replies, 956,085 Views
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
501 Replies, 140,576 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,060 Replies, 2,930,492 Views
Official 2022 Retrechment thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
76 Replies, 7,689 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,613 Replies, 3,093,193 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,616 Replies, 3,495,838 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
230 Replies, 251,588 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
957 Replies, 630,024 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,133 Replies, 297,006 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,172 Replies, 853,375 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,300 Replies, 707,548 Views
ByteDance / TikTok ( 1 2)
17 Replies, 3,864 Views
2022 Full time/Summer internship... ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 2,311 Views
Open Government Products (under...
9 Replies, 966 Views
Want to Save More Money? Our Free...
6 Replies, 8,489 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,379 Replies, 2,296,623 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
331 Replies, 222,626 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
91 Replies, 131,064 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,155 Replies, 517,637 Views
Anyone jobless for a long time... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,279 Replies, 1,496,684 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 10:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2