Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment
View Single Post
Old 21-03-2022, 09:43 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
First ever (relevant) internship

EY General Audit vs KPMG Digital Trust (IT audit)

Feel like I must do at least one audit internship ASAP bc it's like something every accounting student has to do at some point and so I can take audit mod (seniors recommended to do audit/compliance internship before taking it). Applied for digital trust bc I thought risk management was very cool at the time but now I'm not sure bc I've heard internal controls (basically what it is) is a bit...dead-end???

Other factors:
-Impression from both hearsay (esp this forum lol) and the interview is that the vibes at KPMG are much nicer, esp if the people interviewing are the same people I will work with
-KPMG said there might be some data analytics stuff but I doubt it will be much since I'm just an intern

Any advice? Or does it not matter since it's my first internship???
Hello fellow junior,

I have interned in both roles you have mentioned. Depending on whether you are a number-kind of person, because when doing an audit internship, of course you need to have some form of basic excel skills on hand, if not you are going to have a hard time. Audit is all about tieing the numbers here there and everywhere (not kidding).

As for digital trust, it mostly deals with internal controls (eg. testing on application controls and their IT policies), reviewing regulations on tech, which are more on the reporting side. Culture wise, no doubt that blue is better.

Oh yes, working hours are slightly varied as well as I don't OT much in digital trust and compared to audit internship.

Lastly, you would want to ask yourself whether you want to dive in as audit associate or other advisory roles in big 4 once you graduate? Because I knew audit wasn't for me when i interned, so i leveraged on the digital trust experience that i had that led to getting into other functions in big 4 as my full-time role.

Hope this helps!