Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Lawyer Salary
Thread: Lawyer Salary
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2022, 07:10 PM
Unregistered

I start reading law this year. Not the brightest kid, but I learn fast and I'm ready to put in the effort.

Be kind please, the information overload on this thread is REAL and I have no clue how to discern right from wrong. I'd be eternally grateful if someone could answer these questions:

1. What's the most profitable area of law to get into now? Will it be different (in your opinion) in five years... When I can actually start working? Don't care if it's the toughest or has the highest attrition rate.

2. Is there actually a big difference in hiring practices when it comes to SMU vs NUS undergrads? I applied to SMU last year and was accepted but I missed the deadline completely for NUS. Intending to apply this year to NUS Law as well.

3. My dad studied law at Gray's Inn of Court many moons ago but ended up in a completely different industry, making about S$30k take home with 12-14 PQE. Had a very good work-life balance. Is this common for many *local* law grads -- to graduate with an LLB degree but end up working in some other industry completely? I understand many don't become practicing lawyers, but not sure what the % is like for people that just end up working in an entirely different industry. Dad went into shipping and raw material brokerage.

4. What does the average smaller firm pay? I have a friend who just finished her Part B and she's working for a smaller firm that leans towards social justice issues... Christian owner. She's getting roughly $5k before tax and CPF. Normal?

I have a pretty solid chance of making it into comp science as well and that's also been another interest of mine the last few years. Do y'all think that might be a better idea to go for, in view of how the world is becoming increasingly digitalized?