Lawyer Salary - Page 1594 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Lawyer Salary

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #15931 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2022, 11:21 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
populist message? the reception to his recent messages have been deader than a hillary clinton rally. the only platforms repeating his platitudes are mainstream newspapers.

most junior lawyers are too jaded to care. the ones who care, and who are continuing the discussion on linkedin, are the ones who are no longer in private practice and have fled inhouse.
He js just using this platform to market himself la. Do u rly think he cares about the plight of junior lawyers? At the end of the day he is only appearing on ST and BT to get more clients...

Reply With Quote
  #15932 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2022, 11:51 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Fervent chambers fervently hiring

Anyone know hows the culture and pay like?
Anyone knows if any of the US firms are hiring in SG?

4 PQE big4 here, Hoping to lateral and get on at least MC scale.

Reply With Quote
  #15933 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2022, 12:43 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Anyone knows if any of the US firms are hiring in SG?

4 PQE big4 here, Hoping to lateral and get on at least MC scale.
No chance. If you’re in big 4 or big 5, your only best bet is to go to a silver circle and below international and from there scale up.
If by now 4pqe you have not been approached (poached) by MC firms, chances are you will not be considered

Reply With Quote
  #15934 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2022, 04:42 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Like that Jonathan mak or muk. How is he in real life?
He is really active on LinkedIn I must say.
Reply With Quote
  #15935 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2022, 06:06 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Fervent chambers fervently hiring

Anyone know hows the culture and pay like?
Didn't he put the pay at 6.5k for NQs, pretty good for a small firm tbh.
Reply With Quote
  #15936 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2022, 07:10 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I start reading law this year. Not the brightest kid, but I learn fast and I'm ready to put in the effort.

Be kind please, the information overload on this thread is REAL and I have no clue how to discern right from wrong. I'd be eternally grateful if someone could answer these questions:

1. What's the most profitable area of law to get into now? Will it be different (in your opinion) in five years... When I can actually start working? Don't care if it's the toughest or has the highest attrition rate.

2. Is there actually a big difference in hiring practices when it comes to SMU vs NUS undergrads? I applied to SMU last year and was accepted but I missed the deadline completely for NUS. Intending to apply this year to NUS Law as well.

3. My dad studied law at Gray's Inn of Court many moons ago but ended up in a completely different industry, making about S$30k take home with 12-14 PQE. Had a very good work-life balance. Is this common for many *local* law grads -- to graduate with an LLB degree but end up working in some other industry completely? I understand many don't become practicing lawyers, but not sure what the % is like for people that just end up working in an entirely different industry. Dad went into shipping and raw material brokerage.

4. What does the average smaller firm pay? I have a friend who just finished her Part B and she's working for a smaller firm that leans towards social justice issues... Christian owner. She's getting roughly $5k before tax and CPF. Normal?

I have a pretty solid chance of making it into comp science as well and that's also been another interest of mine the last few years. Do y'all think that might be a better idea to go for, in view of how the world is becoming increasingly digitalized?
Reply With Quote

  #15937 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2022, 07:34 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I start reading law this year. Not the brightest kid, but I learn fast and I'm ready to put in the effort.

Be kind please, the information overload on this thread is REAL and I have no clue how to discern right from wrong. I'd be eternally grateful if someone could answer these questions:

1. What's the most profitable area of law to get into now? Will it be different (in your opinion) in five years... When I can actually start working? Don't care if it's the toughest or has the highest attrition rate.

2. Is there actually a big difference in hiring practices when it comes to SMU vs NUS undergrads? I applied to SMU last year and was accepted but I missed the deadline completely for NUS. Intending to apply this year to NUS Law as well.

3. My dad studied law at Gray's Inn of Court many moons ago but ended up in a completely different industry, making about S$30k take home with 12-14 PQE. Had a very good work-life balance. Is this common for many *local* law grads -- to graduate with an LLB degree but end up working in some other industry completely? I understand many don't become practicing lawyers, but not sure what the % is like for people that just end up working in an entirely different industry. Dad went into shipping and raw material brokerage.

4. What does the average smaller firm pay? I have a friend who just finished her Part B and she's working for a smaller firm that leans towards social justice issues... Christian owner. She's getting roughly $5k before tax and CPF. Normal?

I have a pretty solid chance of making it into comp science as well and that's also been another interest of mine the last few years. Do y'all think that might be a better idea to go for, in view of how the world is becoming increasingly digitalized?
1. In general, if you're just a middling student, Corp pays more, and generally Corp in Singapore pays more than disputes because most international firms are not licensed to do disputes/court work. However, if you're super good at law, it will be disputes.

2. Both schools are likely to say that they are better, but there's practically no diff between local students, you won't be disadvantaged greatly either way.

3. A high % end up working in a non-law field, the attrition rate means that less people stay in law than ppl who leave for another industry.

4. For a newly qualified lawyer, the really bad small Chinatown firms pay around 4k, the better small or midsizes pay 5-6k, the b4 now pays around 7.5k.

5. Comp science is oversaturated and has alot of CECA (and foreign) competition. I guess if you're the cream of the crop, you can go to FAANG jobs and earn more, but in general a normal lawyer will still beat a comp sciencer.
Reply With Quote
  #15938 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2022, 07:49 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
1. In general, if you're just a middling student, Corp pays more, and generally Corp in Singapore pays more than disputes because most international firms are not licensed to do disputes/court work. However, if you're super good at law, it will be disputes.
If corp generally pays more, what's the point of going into disputes then even if you are super good at the law?
Reply With Quote
  #15939 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2022, 08:47 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
If corp generally pays more, what's the point of going into disputes then even if you are super good at the law?
Because if you are a super good lawyer you are not a "general" lawyer?

Top dispute lawyers can charge crazy fees. The SCs etc earn the most. It's just that if you're middling-good (i.e. good but not top) you have more change of earning a higher than avg income as a corp lawyer.
Reply With Quote
  #15940 (permalink)  
Old 09-02-2022, 09:45 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
1. In general, if you're just a middling student, Corp pays more, and generally Corp in Singapore pays more than disputes because most international firms are not licensed to do disputes/court work. However, if you're super good at law, it will be disputes.

2. Both schools are likely to say that they are better, but there's practically no diff between local students, you won't be disadvantaged greatly either way.

3. A high % end up working in a non-law field, the attrition rate means that less people stay in law than ppl who leave for another industry.

4. For a newly qualified lawyer, the really bad small Chinatown firms pay around 4k, the better small or midsizes pay 5-6k, the b4 now pays around 7.5k.

5. Comp science is oversaturated and has alot of CECA (and foreign) competition. I guess if you're the cream of the crop, you can go to FAANG jobs and earn more, but in general a normal lawyer will still beat a comp sciencer.
Asker here. Thanks for the reply.

Realistically, just a middling student. Ready to sell my soul studying and grinding to get in and stay in a b4 firm though.

Yeah, if I were to go for comp sci, I would sign on to joint intel / cyberdef. Pay (including anti-bribery bonus) is about $6k take home for fresh ME-4 grads plus the army pays for the degree and, at a certain minimum level of scholarship, pays you full rank pay while you're studying.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
advocate, law, lawyer, legal, solicitor

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
From Lawyer Insider: Life is Glamorous but Unsatisfying Salary.sg Income and Jobs 31 15-01-2018 12:40 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Hospital (Private or Public)... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,014 Replies, 514,495 Views
HTX (Home Team Science and... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
959 Replies, 478,056 Views
Factual Local Bank Salaries - DBS... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,968 Replies, 1,582,864 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,977 Replies, 1,719,730 Views
How much are you earning per annum? ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,395 Replies, 6,673,972 Views
MAS for Mid Career Professionals ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,358 Replies, 1,203,737 Views
31 yo private uni grad. Is there... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
56 Replies, 4,197 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
11,837 Replies, 7,276,398 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,595 Replies, 1,277,234 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
16,540 Replies, 13,033,357 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
18,744 Replies, 5,612,527 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,135 Replies, 4,968,807 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,681 Replies, 2,675,056 Views
SLA (Singapore Land Authority) ( 1 2)
10 Replies, 11,369 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
21,497 Replies, 10,926,481 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,194 Replies, 2,608,917 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,611 Replies, 4,033,769 Views
DSTA (under Mindef) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,696 Replies, 1,523,020 Views
Any Ministry or Statboard still... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
31 Replies, 15,263 Views
Stat board tiers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
79 Replies, 149,781 Views
MFA- Foreign Service... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
69 Replies, 91,930 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
7,640 Replies, 3,682,495 Views
PSA International ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
112 Replies, 106,149 Views
Best Stat board/Ministry ( 1 2 3)
25 Replies, 39,757 Views
when you quit how many days do you... ( 1 2)
19 Replies, 8,035 Views
For those with 2-5 YOE, what is... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,209 Replies, 483,880 Views
Rakuten Software Engineer (Fresh... ( 1 2)
14 Replies, 6,848 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
930 Replies, 497,047 Views
IMDA (under MCI) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,441 Replies, 733,202 Views
JP Morgan ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
215 Replies, 196,557 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 10:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2