Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - For those with 2-5 YOE, what is your salary?
View Single Post
Old 09-02-2022, 12:29 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleinad View Post
very good for u. one word of advice - don't let your salary shape your character coz once u lost that job, u will realise u had built ur self identity based on how much u earn, and that, my friend, is fleeting. u are still very young, so u probably don't understand this fact, but when an older and wiser person tells u this fact of life, best to be humble and listen. ok?
We spend most of our lives working, and some of us are very dedicated to our craft. I think in some ways we base our identity off what we do for a living. If we are good at that, the market rewards us proportionately.

I think it's not wrong to base your identity off salary on a surface level, but on a deeper level the reasoning should be along the lines of "I'm a good engineer, I'm a good doctor etc. therefore I deserve to get paid X amount because I know I can do my **** well"

That way even if you are out of a job, you still have an identity and recognize your own skill set, which would allow you to make a living (self employed or finding a new job) regardless.