Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - What is the typical time for promotions in the gahment sector?
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2012, 02:06 PM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by miwashi View Post
Thank you, yes I don't feel insulted and I value constructive advice.

The thing is, I'm not in my element here. My background is in science, public health and epidemiology, and here I'm doing general admin work for grasscutting performance, like cutting and pasting numbers for grasscutting and rubbish collection scores into excel sheets, and that sort of thing. And that's the 'high level' stuff. The general work is making sure grass is cut nicely, making sure rubbish bins are not overflowing, making sure holes in the ground are filled with soil, picking up used durex (yes I'm not kidding, I have picked them up from locations I'm in charge of very routinely and binned them) and that kind of thing. When I was interviewed for the job they dropped all kinds of terms like SPSS analysis, events planning, and to date I haven't been involved in anything like this. It is a total job misfit and I don't understand how an honors degree holder can end up picking up used durex in public places.

I used to investigate emerging disease outbreaks in Singapore in my previous job, analyze findings and figure out how they happened, and update policies to address preventing recurrence and things of that nature, and I know I can do much more than my current job's cutting and pasting data in excel sheets, making sure microsoft word tables are aligned nicely, and things like that. But the nature of this job in my department is just this, and many of the people have lower education and are already struggling with this sort of thing, that's why I keep asking for a transfer out because the longer I stay the more I sink into a comfort zone and become like them.
Your problem isn’t that your job is not your forte. It seems very likely that you are oblivion to the game of office politics and have as a result made a poor impression and likely offended a lot of people in the process unknowingly. In the pte sector, lots of people get sai gang occasionally that are way beneath their stature, but most will be able to play politics to tai chi away things or reposition themselves politically, you dun demonstrate the ability to do that so far.

Some people are natural in a way that they just can’t seem to be able to detect the nuances of their interaction in work place. Under normal circumstances, an honors grad shouldn’t end up in such a crappy state as you are now, your experience seems to reflect that everyone condemn you and not even 1 person willing to say something for you.

Another clear indication is that you have been attending interviews for so long and never seem to be able to get anywhere close to an offer. That suggests that there is a fundamental problem in the way you are presenting yourself and interacting on a professional level.