Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Compare civil service salary
View Single Post
Old 24-12-2011, 09:37 AM

Anonymous is on a distinguished road

I feel that you're shortchanging yourself if you take up a post as an MX if you have a law degree. Try to get into the legal service. The pay is very different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
life in private sector is no better. i am a lawyer who is moving into public sector, offered on mx12 scheme. i have 2 years+ post qualification experience.

people might think, why is a lawyer going into the public sector? don't you earn a lot in a law firm? the answer is - yes and no. you earn a lot if you are in the big firms, but i have been practicing in a middle size firm and some places find all ways and means to underpay you. even if you do well in your performance, you will not be given a bonus because of reasons like "the firm is preparing for the economy" and "your collections (i.e. when you send out bills for legal work and when people pay, that's collections) are not enough". a lot of lawyers like myself are leaving for other places, more increasingly go into the public sector because it is "fair" and often you are not shortchanged.

having considered options, i think public sector is a better bet especially with the recession coming on and the economy in the doldrums.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app