Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Advise on a career path in finance/investment
View Single Post
Old 28-11-2011, 10:49 AM
Unregistered

If you spend sometime to consider the perspective from an employer point of view:

1. There are a ton of academic high-flyers. Many from the Ivy league grad and post grad schools are seeking for the same kind of jobs you seek. In such a climate, it is definitely job seekers > jobs (you have to first realise that you are not special, there are tons of qualified people out there looking for the same jobs that you seek)

2. In the recruiter's mind, there is the burning question yet unanswered: "why should we hire you?". You are an actuarial graduate, academically it suggests that you are inclined towards more quantitative roles. You should play according to your strenghts. Market Risk Mgmt makes sense for your background. In such a role, you seem to have an advantage. If you feel that you are more inclines towards investment management roles, you have to work hard to build up your competitive advantages in that area. Such jobs favor candidates with accountancy and finance backgrounds. If you want FO, perhaps a trader / structurer role may play out for you, but again you have already pointed out you hated the FO environment. (you have to realise that the world doesn't owe you a living, why should they hire you in those roles?)

3. Your job history does indeed suggest someone who is unclear of what he/she wants. Someone that lacks determination/perserverance. These are traits that are commonly frowned upon. I worry for you. I worry that you end up landing another role which you don't like and "realise" that you are better suited for something else. Imagine what it will do to your already "haphazard" type of resume history?

You made a decision that ended with you in Risk Mgmt. We make many decisions in our lives, some big some small. Each of these decisions, right or wrong, have led us to our current situation in life. We don't make the right decisions all the time. You seem to be making decisions too hastily.

You made a decision that the environment in FO is not right for you. I tell you now that in the highly stressed world of IB, the environment that you had experienced is more the norm rather than the exception. Ever thought that perhaps the problem lies within yourself? Perhaps your expectations of the job is not realistic/ too idealistic?

My advice: Spend sometime to sort yourself out internally first. First few years out of school, most of us don't know what we want (in our career). Most of us probably will never know. Often, it is about making a choice/decision and sticking with it. Forget the fairytales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poorman View Post
agree with the above poster.

From what i've read, you're obviously a very bright person and very qualified. however, employers will not want to hire someone who is volatile when it comes to job stability no matter how qualified you are.

Try and stay for at least a year before you look at your options again..

Anyway TS, Risk Management is a very respected role in Financial Institutions. If you stay there, you'll be very valued. income wise is also one of the highest paying areas to work in the Bank apart from the sales side.