Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - No Try No Strike
View Single Post
Old 16-11-2011, 02:22 PM
Millionaire Member

Hermit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan002 View Post
Okay, you know what? This is the biggest load of s**t I have ever heard. If I took a bucket full of cow dung, got a bad stomach ache, and then loosed my bowels into it until it all sloshed over, there would still be less s**t in it than this guest post.

(1) Let's go back to Sec 1 maths okay? The odds of winning Toto are 1:8,000,000, or thereabouts. When the odds are stacked against you, what happens if you persist in playing within the same market?

Or to be clear: say you're playing Russian Roulette. The chances of losing are 5 in 6 (as is the case with the lottery). You spin once and you don't die. If you spin again, do you think your odds (1) improve, because you're kind of like Rain Man, except retarded without the maths skills, or (2) get worse?

When the odds are stacked against you, you lose more as you play more. So no, it's not a case of succeeding by trying again and again.

(2) Do you know why there are professional Poker players but no professional lottery players? Look at a card deck:

Your chances of drawing an ace are 2 in 52. Every card that's not an ace, is a card closer to the ace.

NOT the case with lottery numbers. Just because an intended number wasn't "2" this time around, doesn't mean you get "closer" to "2". The numbers can reset. There is no "memory" in the way the numbers are picked.

(3) You think I should invest money in a scheme where, after a certain period of time, I may or may not get any money? What would you say if one of those OCBC or DBS investment people called you up and said:

"Hey do you want to invest in a faeces laden plan, where you give us money and we'll randomly decide who to pay it out to?"

Would you actually say yes to that? No? Well why the hell would you buy a lottery ticket then?

(4) No try no strike is it? I wonder if you've heard of this one: Winning means not losing too.

Let's play a game. I'll stick 50 bucks in a blender, turn it on at half speed, and then you try to stick your hand in and grab it. Got cut? Freaking try again. And again. and again. No try, no strike. What a dips**t.

It's called same process same outcome. If you lost at it once, then odds are you'd better try something different. Otherwise it's like being a fly bouncing off a window pane, trying to find an opening.

See the maths: “Investing” in the Lottery?: The Math behind Toto and 4D in Singapore | MoneySmart.sg
Finally we have someone here who stayed awake during Probability 101 class.