Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Engineering Job advise
View Single Post
Old 13-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Unregistered

I seriously think that there's alot of under and grossly under estimation of people working in engineering fields.

My wife told me her friend who is an engineer, earns about 100k pa, and whilst holding discussion with him, it dawned to her that engineers actually earn quite alot. Of course, he's a degree holder and in his mid 40s.

Too far for me to mention about someone I dont know? Alright.

I just came back from Shanghai and met a friend there. He's my old friend from poly and still only holding a diploma cert. He had worked in Chartered semicon and after it gone down, he switched around and is currently based in Shanghai. Earning about $5-$6k per month. Not an engineer per se, but a sales engineer. Nontheless, a job that require acute understanding of engineering stuff, despite being a sales job. Hence, engineering is still attractive.

Ok, how about this - my neighbor is working in Starhub as an engineer and is drawing about 5.5k per month. I think he's a degree holder of some engineering school. He was also my poly mate and we happened to stay in the same block now. Drives a MPV and also paid a good COV for his resale flat just as I had. Doing well.

Sometimes I read the posts here and other forums, where taxi drivers claiming that they were engineers and now have to drive taxis... and how the market and industry destroys them.

However, I would like to state politely that they do not have any tertiary education and from their complaining attitude, it seems to me that they have the mentality that the world owes them a living. If they want to remain in the industry, the least they could do was to upgrade themselves and I'm pretty sure the engineering industry is still sunny for them.