Engineering Job advise - Page 2 - Salary.sg Forums
Salary.sg Forums  

Go Back   Salary.sg Forums > The Salary.sg Discussion Forums: > Income and Jobs

Income and Jobs Discuss jobs, career options and of course salaries




Engineering Job advise

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 08-11-2011, 04:43 PM
Unregistered000
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Engineer

Is the job of Project Engineer hard? Is it true that people who can communicate well, and is manager-material, can do well in it?

Also, sales or project engineer, generally, which one can earn more? Since engineering is said to be not paying satisfactorily, would sales fare better?

Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 08-11-2011, 07:45 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

hi everyone, i'm currently an undergraduate in NUS studying engineering. previously, i graduated from SP with an engineering diploma (EEE). due to the unattractive market landscape in engineering, i realised that it doesn't justify me spending 3 or more yrs to study hence i'm thinking of leaving NUS and coming out to work instead. but i'm unsure of the current job outlook for engineering field. i would love to switch to another field but will need to work first to earn some $$.

can anyone here in the industry advise me on the current job outlook and the types of jobs a EEE diploma holder can look to secure?

thanks a million for your replies.

Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 09-11-2011, 01:08 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
hi everyone, i'm currently an undergraduate in NUS studying engineering. previously, i graduated from SP with an engineering diploma (EEE). due to the unattractive market landscape in engineering, i realised that it doesn't justify me spending 3 or more yrs to study hence i'm thinking of leaving NUS and coming out to work instead. but i'm unsure of the current job outlook for engineering field. i would love to switch to another field but will need to work first to earn some $$.

can anyone here in the industry advise me on the current job outlook and the types of jobs a EEE diploma holder can look to secure?

thanks a million for your replies.
Since u are already studying, why not opt to change major? imo, having a good degree really helps in whatever field u choose to pursue.

Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old 09-11-2011, 01:30 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered000 View Post
Is the job of Project Engineer hard? Is it true that people who can communicate well, and is manager-material, can do well in it?

Also, sales or project engineer, generally, which one can earn more? Since engineering is said to be not paying satisfactorily, would sales fare better?
Project engineer is a very broad title as any engineer working on a project is one. From ur desc, do u mean project manager, lead engineer or maybe chief engineer? technical knowledge and exp is the most impt i think - as a project manager, people cannot smoke u; as a leader, ur engineers will respect u; as a chief, ur engineers will trust and follow ur engineering decisions.

very generally, sales engineer would fare better than normal project engineers - not those leader roles mentioned above.


Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills


SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android


SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go


SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old 10-11-2011, 11:54 AM
Passer-by
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I would advise those looking to go into engineering field to pursue related environmental business, e.g. chemical engineering. This is the in-thing in a lot of countries, one good example would be water management industrial.
Reply With Quote
  #16 (permalink)  
Old 11-11-2011, 11:38 PM
Verified Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 10
Iruka1 is on a distinguished road
Default

What about scm related work such as planner, procurement, logistics...?
Reply With Quote

  #17 (permalink)  
Old 13-11-2011, 10:44 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
hi everyone, i'm currently an undergraduate in NUS studying engineering. previously, i graduated from SP with an engineering diploma (EEE). due to the unattractive market landscape in engineering, i realised that it doesn't justify me spending 3 or more yrs to study hence i'm thinking of leaving NUS and coming out to work instead. but i'm unsure of the current job outlook for engineering field. i would love to switch to another field but will need to work first to earn some $$.

can anyone here in the industry advise me on the current job outlook and the types of jobs a EEE diploma holder can look to secure?

thanks a million for your replies.
With the exception of a few rare cases, diploma holders generally cannot expect to earn too much. There is always a glass ceiling in place. Many jobs requiring work experience also require a basic degree.

I'd advise you to finish your degree, or you could try to switch course in NUS, assuming your grades in your current NUS course are good.

Best wishes during this important part of your life!
Reply With Quote
  #18 (permalink)  
Old 13-11-2011, 04:24 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I seriously think that there's alot of under and grossly under estimation of people working in engineering fields.

My wife told me her friend who is an engineer, earns about 100k pa, and whilst holding discussion with him, it dawned to her that engineers actually earn quite alot. Of course, he's a degree holder and in his mid 40s.

Too far for me to mention about someone I dont know? Alright.

I just came back from Shanghai and met a friend there. He's my old friend from poly and still only holding a diploma cert. He had worked in Chartered semicon and after it gone down, he switched around and is currently based in Shanghai. Earning about $5-$6k per month. Not an engineer per se, but a sales engineer. Nontheless, a job that require acute understanding of engineering stuff, despite being a sales job. Hence, engineering is still attractive.

Ok, how about this - my neighbor is working in Starhub as an engineer and is drawing about 5.5k per month. I think he's a degree holder of some engineering school. He was also my poly mate and we happened to stay in the same block now. Drives a MPV and also paid a good COV for his resale flat just as I had. Doing well.

Sometimes I read the posts here and other forums, where taxi drivers claiming that they were engineers and now have to drive taxis... and how the market and industry destroys them.

However, I would like to state politely that they do not have any tertiary education and from their complaining attitude, it seems to me that they have the mentality that the world owes them a living. If they want to remain in the industry, the least they could do was to upgrade themselves and I'm pretty sure the engineering industry is still sunny for them.
Reply With Quote
  #19 (permalink)  
Old 13-11-2011, 05:30 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I seriously think that there's alot of under and grossly under estimation of people working in engineering fields.

My wife told me her friend who is an engineer, earns about 100k pa, and whilst holding discussion with him, it dawned to her that engineers actually earn quite alot. Of course, he's a degree holder and in his mid 40s.

Too far for me to mention about someone I dont know? Alright.

I just came back from Shanghai and met a friend there. He's my old friend from poly and still only holding a diploma cert. He had worked in Chartered semicon and after it gone down, he switched around and is currently based in Shanghai. Earning about $5-$6k per month. Not an engineer per se, but a sales engineer. Nontheless, a job that require acute understanding of engineering stuff, despite being a sales job. Hence, engineering is still attractive.

Ok, how about this - my neighbor is working in Starhub as an engineer and is drawing about 5.5k per month. I think he's a degree holder of some engineering school. He was also my poly mate and we happened to stay in the same block now. Drives a MPV and also paid a good COV for his resale flat just as I had. Doing well.

Sometimes I read the posts here and other forums, where taxi drivers claiming that they were engineers and now have to drive taxis... and how the market and industry destroys them.

However, I would like to state politely that they do not have any tertiary education and from their complaining attitude, it seems to me that they have the mentality that the world owes them a living. If they want to remain in the industry, the least they could do was to upgrade themselves and I'm pretty sure the engineering industry is still sunny for them.


Well I don't hear of bankers driving taxis.
Reply With Quote
  #20 (permalink)  
Old 13-11-2011, 07:47 PM
Super Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 309
Bean is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I seriously think that there's alot of under and grossly under estimation of people working in engineering fields.

My wife told me her friend who is an engineer, earns about 100k pa, and whilst holding discussion with him, it dawned to her that engineers actually earn quite alot. Of course, he's a degree holder and in his mid 40s.

Too far for me to mention about someone I dont know? Alright.

I just came back from Shanghai and met a friend there. He's my old friend from poly and still only holding a diploma cert. He had worked in Chartered semicon and after it gone down, he switched around and is currently based in Shanghai. Earning about $5-$6k per month. Not an engineer per se, but a sales engineer. Nontheless, a job that require acute understanding of engineering stuff, despite being a sales job. Hence, engineering is still attractive.

Ok, how about this - my neighbor is working in Starhub as an engineer and is drawing about 5.5k per month. I think he's a degree holder of some engineering school. He was also my poly mate and we happened to stay in the same block now. Drives a MPV and also paid a good COV for his resale flat just as I had. Doing well.

Sometimes I read the posts here and other forums, where taxi drivers claiming that they were engineers and now have to drive taxis... and how the market and industry destroys them.

However, I would like to state politely that they do not have any tertiary education and from their complaining attitude, it seems to me that they have the mentality that the world owes them a living. If they want to remain in the industry, the least they could do was to upgrade themselves and I'm pretty sure the engineering industry is still sunny for them.
still low compare to financial/banking/investment sector
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
engineering

« Previous Thread | Next Thread »
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
unfair employer... please advise curls33 Income and Jobs 8 27-04-2011 04:39 PM
Need advise nubbienub Education and Personal Growth 3 09-02-2011 10:21 AM
Aerospace Engineering vs Computer Engineering vs EE engineering john Education and Personal Growth 30 14-07-2010 03:11 AM
Advise on polytechnic courses jonathan920 Income and Jobs 3 09-07-2010 02:39 PM
advise greengrass Income and Jobs 3 15-12-2009 12:06 PM

» 30 Recent Threads
Shopee fresh grad pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
505 Replies, 141,100 Views
Lawyer Salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
17,133 Replies, 6,433,749 Views
Engineer Pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
457 Replies, 240,897 Views
Q: Big4 - Yearly salary increment ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
8,209 Replies, 2,404,369 Views
ST Electronics ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,792 Replies, 845,534 Views
DBS tech seed programme ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
2,152 Replies, 565,116 Views
Civil Service Performance Bonus ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,061 Replies, 2,932,026 Views
Official 2022 Retrechment thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
78 Replies, 7,955 Views
Polytechnic lecturer salary range ( 1 2 3)
24 Replies, 78,859 Views
Compare civil service salary ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
14,218 Replies, 8,906,537 Views
High Finance Thread ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,136 Replies, 253,668 Views
Roles in accenture singapore ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,756 Replies, 957,259 Views
Band 4 and Band 5 in Standard... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
49 Replies, 69,811 Views
Micron starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
430 Replies, 160,500 Views
SIM-UOL fresh grad starting pay ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
6,601 Replies, 2,022,944 Views
How is life as a doctor in... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,970 Replies, 1,921,191 Views
MINDEF DXO (All FAQ on it) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,613 Replies, 3,093,959 Views
Career as Teacher ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
5,616 Replies, 3,498,164 Views
Ex-MOE Teachers ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
230 Replies, 251,861 Views
NCS (SingTel subsidiary) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
957 Replies, 630,467 Views
Singtel Management Associate... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,133 Replies, 297,226 Views
GovTech ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
3,172 Replies, 854,024 Views
Queries about Cpib application ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
1,300 Replies, 707,774 Views
ByteDance / TikTok ( 1 2)
17 Replies, 3,904 Views
2022 Full time/Summer internship... ( 1 2)
16 Replies, 2,332 Views
Open Government Products (under...
9 Replies, 1,008 Views
Want to Save More Money? Our Free...
6 Replies, 8,501 Views
Civil Svc/ Statboard - Typical... ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
4,379 Replies, 2,297,415 Views
Work culture in IHiS ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
331 Replies, 222,864 Views
LTA (Land Transport Authority) ( 1 2 3... Last Page)
91 Replies, 131,192 Views
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2



All times are GMT +8. The time now is 01:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2